Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 157

Thread: Strip Work done with my Cut Down Method

  1. #101
    Senior Member cherylmae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Valley, Washington
    Posts
    475
    Blog Entries
    23
    Thank You for this, never thought of just cutting blocks out of these sets. I made foundation quilt blocks from left over strips and took all my extra blocks and made granddaugters quilts. Here's one!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda
    I used to sell my small gift items to a local gift shop. My best sellers were hotpads and bookmarks and coin purses.

    One of my favorite resources is to sew strips into sets that would make good borders or other uses. These strip sets are very versatile and are good to have on hand to pull out and use whenever needed.

    Here I am going to show you how I use strips.

    Now you may see stuff you already know how to do but I hope I can inspire someone to try my easy way to use strips.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #102
    Power Poster Rhonda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Salem Iowa
    Posts
    15,771
    Blog Entries
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by cherylmae
    Thank You for this, never thought of just cutting blocks out of these sets. I made foundation quilt blocks from left over strips and took all my extra blocks and made granddaugters quilts. Here's one!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda
    I used to sell my small gift items to a local gift shop. My best sellers were hotpads and bookmarks and coin purses.

    One of my favorite resources is to sew strips into sets that would make good borders or other uses. These strip sets are very versatile and are good to have on hand to pull out and use whenever needed.

    Here I am going to show you how I use strips.

    Now you may see stuff you already know how to do but I hope I can inspire someone to try my easy way to use strips.
    Very pretty quilt! A good way to use up scraps too.

  3. #103
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,032
    Blog Entries
    7
    Just revisited this. I love the tic tac toe!

  4. #104
    Power Poster Rhonda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Salem Iowa
    Posts
    15,771
    Blog Entries
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by np3
    Just revisited this. I love the tic tac toe!
    When I did it I wasn't sure if I liked it or not. But it sold so I guess someone liked it. I'm still not sure. It def is not my favorite. but it offers a variety of design.

  5. #105
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,032
    Blog Entries
    7
    Went back and looked again. Still my favorite. Started smiling as soon as it appeared on screen!

  6. #106
    Power Poster Rhonda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Salem Iowa
    Posts
    15,771
    Blog Entries
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by np3
    Went back and looked again. Still my favorite. Started smiling as soon as it appeared on screen!
    thanks Nancy I'm glad you like it!

  7. #107
    tms
    tms is offline
    Junior Member tms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    132
    Thank you Rhonda!!!!

  8. #108
    Senior Member Sewlmatesister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Perth Ontario Canada
    Posts
    686
    Thanks for some great ideas!!!

  9. #109
    Power Poster Rhonda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Salem Iowa
    Posts
    15,771
    Blog Entries
    50
    You're welcome everyone! I am glad if you can use my ideas and create your own!

  10. #110
    Super Member ania755's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,741
    Rhonda...What would we do without you?????? :lol: :lol: :lol:
    I just cannot thank you enough :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

  11. #111
    Power Poster Rhonda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Salem Iowa
    Posts
    15,771
    Blog Entries
    50
    You're more than welcome!

  12. #112

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2
    Thank you, Rhonda! This is a wonderful tutorial.

  13. #113
    Power Poster Rhonda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Salem Iowa
    Posts
    15,771
    Blog Entries
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by stonesprout
    Thank you, Rhonda! This is a wonderful tutorial.
    Hope you get some good use out of it!!

  14. #114
    Senior Member mhollifiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Edenton and Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    744
    Blog Entries
    4
    Goodness! Great ideas and what a great way to use up little leftovers and such!

  15. #115
    Senior Member tedytrser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    794
    Blog Entries
    1
    Hi there this looks easy enough for me to try and then I have a question which you may think is stupid. After you sew the strips together and the cut the squares what keep the stiching from coming apart. K all you experienced quilters don't laugh.

  16. #116
    Power Poster Rhonda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Salem Iowa
    Posts
    15,771
    Blog Entries
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by tedytrser
    Hi there this looks easy enough for me to try and then I have a question which you may think is stupid. After you sew the strips together and the cut the squares what keep the stiching from coming apart. K all you experienced quilters don't laugh.
    If one does start to come apart (and mostly they don't) I either catch it with a stitch by hand or stick it under the needle and resew that end of the seam.
    When I get ready to sew the blocks together I sometimes sew(baste) along the raw edge to catch the seams so they won't come undone. but usually I don't need to. They don't seem to be a problem for the most part.

  17. #117
    Senior Member DeniseP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lewiston, Maine
    Posts
    532
    Blog Entries
    3
    You always have such good ideas! Thank you.

  18. #118
    Super Member BrendaY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,846
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by klgreene
    ok Rhonda, you are doing it to me again. I already made a small doll size quilt making just squares, then put a black sashing between them. Then I started making 6" squares and just do a few every now and then, not knowing what I'd do with them yet. Now after looking at your pictures and tut, I would never have thought of using these for a border. You are just a never ending wealth of information. Thanks.
    Hi Katie... and I agree with you.. It never occurred to me that you could make a border so easily..

    Thanks, Rhonda!! You're a doll...

  19. #119
    Power Poster Rhonda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Salem Iowa
    Posts
    15,771
    Blog Entries
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by BrendaY
    Quote Originally Posted by klgreene
    ok Rhonda, you are doing it to me again. I already made a small doll size quilt making just squares, then put a black sashing between them. Then I started making 6" squares and just do a few every now and then, not knowing what I'd do with them yet. Now after looking at your pictures and tut, I would never have thought of using these for a border. You are just a never ending wealth of information. Thanks.
    Hi Katie... and I agree with you.. It never occurred to me that you could make a border so easily..

    Thanks, Rhonda!! You're a doll...
    You're welcome. The strip border is one of my favorites. You can use them for sashing too.

  20. #120
    Super Member GGinMcKinney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    N Texas
    Posts
    1,140
    Thank you! I made some placemats using this method. I really like your hotpads.

  21. #121
    Power Poster Rhonda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Salem Iowa
    Posts
    15,771
    Blog Entries
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by GGinMcKinney
    Thank you! I made some placemats using this method. I really like your hotpads.
    Can we see pics of your placemats? I'm glad you like the hotpads.

  22. #122
    Super Member PolkaBabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Iowa City, IA.
    Posts
    1,064
    Rhonda, thanks a million, great ideas.

  23. #123
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Long island, Ny
    Posts
    242
    Blog Entries
    1
    wow! I have to make this!!

  24. #124
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    13,232
    Great tute Rhonda, I have been sewing my small strips together and I am cutting out hearts out of them. They are turning out really cute. I love your border idea!
    SueDor

  25. #125
    Power Poster Rhonda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Salem Iowa
    Posts
    15,771
    Blog Entries
    50
    thanks ladies I'm glad you like it. It is a fun way to use up strips.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.