Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Fast Jelly-roll quilt

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...VmHdIpSEpnMBvg

Here are a number of youtube videos showing the techniques I have been suggesting. The Quilt in a Day blocks are two hour shows ... don't know when she will get to the fusible webbing technique. Still .... you can enjoy her teaching techniques

http://quiltinaday.com/theater/victory02.html

this is from the same Quilt in a day Series ... but, called:
    Victory Quilts. The particular technique I was first suggesting was used in the Fala Block, also, one of her borders.
    Hope this will help/encourage you

Thank you so much, Omak! I will watch these tonight when the baby goes to bed!

well, Miss AnnaLee!
    Congratulations on your baby! I always say, "When you have a good product, PRODUCE!"
    Looking forward to your future productions!

http://quiltinaday.com/theater/block/block04.html

This block from the American Barns by Eleanor Burns Media theater shows another way to do applique ...
    broidery perse is another term for this type of applique ...
    needle turn applique can be saved for another day

How are you quilting the super easy jelly roll quilt? I started quilting in the ditch, I'm still not sure this is what I want to do. Any help would be appreciated.

Hon, I havent even started mine yet....been making custom Kindle covers , hoping to get enuf made for a local craft fair...please let me know how you proceed because making that one is definitely on my list

Quote Originally Posted by CathyQuilts4
    How are you quilting the super easy jelly roll quilt? I started quilting in the ditch, I'm still not sure this is what I want to do. Any help would be appreciated.
    I would do a big, loose stipple = meandering

I'd heard of these but never gave them much thought till now. Your tutorial sounds so very easy. I'm bookmarking it for this winter. Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Love my stash
    I'd heard of these but never gave them much thought till now. Your tutorial sounds so very easy. I'm bookmarking it for this winter. Thanks for sharing
    They are super fun and a GREAT project for winter.
    Enjoy!

I think I can do this. thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Panda Lady
    I think I can do this. thanks for sharing
    You are welcome!

I did one of these and love it, but being so anxious, I didn't turn my cut and some of the same strips were sewn together. Being a new quilter, I need to take my time and check before sewing--like measure twice and cut once. I'll learn the hard way, but taking notes and tips from so many nice people on this site is so helpful!!

Quote Originally Posted by LC1562
    I did one of these and love it, but being so anxious, I didn't turn my cut and some of the same strips were sewn together. Being a new quilter, I need to take my time and check before sewing--like measure twice and cut once. I'll learn the hard way, but taking notes and tips from so many nice people on this site is so helpful!!
    Aren't you the clever one, though?
    I made at least three of these and ran into the same thing, but I never considered turning the strips ... silly me!
    Now, that you have pointed out this option, I think I will make another one, just to see the difference!
    I still say: CLEVER!

Blog Entries
    nice I have received jelly rolls as gifts...I am going to work! Thanks

Omark--you are so kindly welcome--people have helped me on this website, so I feel good helping someone.

Quote Originally Posted by DebsShelties
    Here is mine.
    OK Debs - how did you plan the colors so that they did not touch themselves?

Thanks much!

LDB
    As a newbie I know I am sometimes slow on the uptake. I love the idea of this as a really quick quilt and want to try this pattern. What confuses me (and it doesn't take much some days) is the cutting part. Are you saying that you take the really long strip (~1600") fold it in half matching the ends and sew down one side and then cut the piece in half (the loop?)so that you now have two pieces of two strips each 800" long? Then sew those two together and so on?

Now, just to complicate matters, what if I wanted to make this in a queen size (90") width? Obviously, I would need about twice as many strips but what does that do to the cutting part?

Please help

LDB
    Quote Originally Posted by LDB
    As a newbie I know I am sometimes slow on the uptake. I love the idea of this as a really quick quilt and want to try this pattern. What confuses me (and it doesn't take much some days) is the cutting part. Are you saying that you take the really long strip (~1600") fold it in half matching the ends and sew down one side and then cut the piece in half (the loop?)so that you now have two pieces of two strips each 800" long? Then sew those two together and so on?

Now, just to complicate matters, what if I wanted to make this in a queen size (90") width? Obviously, I would need about twice as many strips but what does that do to the cutting part?

Please help
    (Sorry - hit enter too soon.) Please help support my LQS by answering these questions so I can rush over and pick up a couple of jelly rolls to make this with!

I made my first jelly roll quilt using your tutorial. It was AWESOME!!! Went really fast and turned out beautiful!! Thank you for your posting. Love it!!

Please help
    (Sorry - hit enter too soon.) Please help support my LQS by answering these questions so I can rush over and pick up a couple of jelly rolls to make this with!
    Glad to help. Yes, you cut the loop at the end of the fold when you are sewing.
    If you want to use 2 jelly rolls it will come out 100" x 64"
    Here's how it works:
    80 strips x 40" = 3200" X 2 1/2" (lets use the finished size of 2")
    Fold once: it's now 1600" x 4"
    2nd fold: 800" x 8"
    3rd fold: 400" x 16"
    4th fold: 200" x 32"
    5th fold: 100" x 64"
    See how it works?
    So if you want a quilt with those dimentions that's how it would come out with 2 jelly rolls.
    You could always trim it to size.

I'm really excited for you to try this. Post a picture when you are finished. I LOVE to see what other people have done.

Take care and Happy Quilting!
    Robin

LDB
    Oh! I get the math now! Thanks for the reply. I have this on my list of quilts. (One needing binding, one all but finished (need fabric I ordered) one really quick Quiltsmart quilt in the batters box.) I did run to my LQS but they didn't have what I wanted in batik jelly rolls. Ordered some from Connecting Threads. Hope the fabric doesn't come too quickly or I will be tempted to start it before I clear my plate!

Thanks again!

I have a jelly and may cut more strips to make a little bigger. Just need to remember this next time I'm looking for a quilt to make.

Thanks.

Oh! I get the math now! Thanks for the reply. I have this on my list of quilts. (One needing binding, one all but finished (need fabric I ordered) one really quick Quiltsmart quilt in the batters box.) I did run to my LQS but they didn't have what I wanted in batik jelly rolls. Ordered some from Connecting Threads. Hope the fabric doesn't come too quickly or I will be tempted to start it before I clear my plate!

Thanks again!
    I love it when "it clicks"! WOW! Batiks will look great! Hope you can post a picture when you get it finished. I'm going to post a picture of a quilt pattern from Connecting threads that I made from the scraps of a friends shirts she makes. She was blown away when I gave it to her.
    Again, Happy Quilting!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast