Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast
Results 276 to 300 of 599

Thread: Super Fast Jelly-roll quilt

  1. #276
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Church Point, Louisiana
    Posts
    147
    I was wondering if I should alter light and dark or just sew them in no order--let me know. Thanks

  2. #277

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4
    I grouped them all by color and did it that way. Someone had mentioned a few pages back that it came out better. Mine looked just fine! You can see my picture on the previous page.

  3. #278
    Super Member anicra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Dingmans Ferry, Pa
    Posts
    1,170
    What a clever way to make this. It sounds very easy and I can't wait try it. Thanks for the tute!

  4. #279
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,107
    Thanks for sharing!!
    Was wondering what I was going to do this afternoon.... :D

  5. #280
    Member tammystitches's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tacoma
    Posts
    81
    Thanks for the idea! I have two jelly rolls which were picked up at a yard sale.. now I know what to do.. Since both jelly rolls are of the same fabric, I still need an idea for the 2nd roll, as I do not need 2 similar quilts..

  6. #281
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Church Point, Louisiana
    Posts
    147
    OK, new to quilting--your saying to group by colors, that do all the dark, then the medium, and then the light. Am I understanding it right? Educate me.

  7. #282
    Super Member omak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Washington State
    Posts
    6,053
    Quote Originally Posted by LC1562
    OK, new to quilting--your saying to group by colors, that do all the dark, then the medium, and then the light. Am I understanding it right? Educate me.
    You can put your colors in any manner of your choice - - there is no right or wrong way. I am not the author of this thread, but I know that when I was messing around with the technique, I tried a couple of different ways of working with the color.
    I think I came to the conclusion that the best laid plans of mice and men will never help you escape colors ending up in the same area from time to time.
    The technique is fun and fast for a new quilter. Give it a try!
    And! Don't forget to post a picture so we can see what you ended up with.

  8. #283

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    12
    Does anyone have or know where I can get the directions for "peppermint stick" quilt made with a jelly roll? Thanks

  9. #284
    Super Member yetta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Manassas Va.
    Posts
    1,236
    I think I can do this..thankyou for sharing

  10. #285

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Posts
    38
    WOW!!! Am printing this off for gals @ quilt club tonite...I've never seen such a technique...thanks for sharing

  11. #286

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    31
    Go to web site www.modabakeshop.com and work your way backwards from pages and pages and some really neat patterns that are free and some most striking out of all the special fabric cuts that Moda has created from all the fabrics in the family so that they all go together. Good tutorials on there for each one from the person who sent it to Moda and if you have questions you can address your questions direct to the person who designed it. Have fun. Its a blast. You can cut up some of your own fabrics that go together into a Jelly roll incuding fat quarters on the long side or across your yardage from selvage to selvage into lengths 2 1/2 inches wide. VB

  12. #287

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Posts
    38
    Going to that web site right now!!! Thanx

  13. #288
    fromthenestdesigns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Fortuna, California
    Posts
    75
    You are welcome!!! Have fun with the ladies tonight!

  14. #289
    fromthenestdesigns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Fortuna, California
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Perchgirl157
    WOW!!! Am printing this off for gals @ quilt club tonite...I've never seen such a technique...thanks for sharing
    You are welcome! Have fun!

  15. #290
    Super Member burnsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,365
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks for the link.

  16. #291
    KK
    KK is offline

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    49
    I think for the size you mention, you need 2 jelly rolls.
    I just made a Q top with one jelly roll, and the finished product is about half of what you say I should have. Kay

  17. #292
    fromthenestdesigns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Fortuna, California
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by KK
    I think for the size you mention, you need 2 jelly rolls.
    I just made a Q top with one jelly roll, and the finished product is about half of what you say I should have. Kay
    Did your roll have 40 strips in it? If you do the math, it should turn out that size with 40 strips.
    40strips x 40" = 1600" x 2.5"
    fold once- 800" x 4.5"
    fold again- 400" x 8.5"
    fold again- 200" x 16.5"
    fold again- 100" x 32.5"
    last fold - 50" x 64.5"
    Add borders and voila' you have a quilt!
    Hope that helps.
    Robin

  18. #293
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    612
    I made a baby quilt top in just 1 hour with this method. THANK YOU!!! The only thing I will change in the future is that I will not repeat a dark fabric. I ended up with a section that was just the same dark fabric. However,I love, LOVE, this method for a speedy gift. I am going to try to back mine with fleece and not use batting! Thank You!

  19. #294
    fromthenestdesigns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Fortuna, California
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Annaleehunter
    I made a baby quilt top in just 1 hour with this method. THANK YOU!!! The only thing I will change in the future is that I will not repeat a dark fabric. I ended up with a section that was just the same dark fabric. However,I love, LOVE, this method for a speedy gift. I am going to try to back mine with fleece and not use batting! Thank You!
    That's awesome! The fleece idea sounds great. Let us know how it turns out!
    Robin

  20. #295
    Super Member omak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Washington State
    Posts
    6,053
    Quote Originally Posted by Annaleehunter
    I made a baby quilt top in just 1 hour with this method. THANK YOU!!! The only thing I will change in the future is that I will not repeat a dark fabric. I ended up with a section that was just the same dark fabric. However,I love, LOVE, this method for a speedy gift. I am going to try to back mine with fleece and not use batting! Thank You!
    suggestion! In those areas where the colors line up and create blocks of the same color and texture? That would be an excellent place to practice a bit of applique with fusible webbing.

  21. #296
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    612
    Quote Originally Posted by omak
    Quote Originally Posted by Annaleehunter
    I made a baby quilt top in just 1 hour with this method. THANK YOU!!! The only thing I will change in the future is that I will not repeat a dark fabric. I ended up with a section that was just the same dark fabric. However,I love, LOVE, this method for a speedy gift. I am going to try to back mine with fleece and not use batting! Thank You!
    suggestion! In those areas where the colors line up and create blocks of the same color and texture? That would be an excellent place to practice a bit of applique with fusible webbing.
    Thanks for the idea! I don't yet know how to applique. This will be a great project to learn on since it is so quick and fun. Oh, It took less than 1 jelly roll to make a baby quilt!

  22. #297
    Super Member omak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Washington State
    Posts
    6,053
    There are two types of fusible webbing.
    One type has fusible on only one side. Suppose you have an orphan block - - say, a 9 patch ... stitch the fusible, right side of the fabric to the glue side of the webbing (do not use an iron yet) ... stitch around all four sides of your block. Carefully lift the webbing away from the block and cut a slit in the webbing - - you will turn the block to the outside, which will put the glue side of the webbing ready to be ironed into place on your quilt.
    It would be a good thing to purchase a teflon sheet designed to withstand being ironed for the next step.
    Following the ironing instruction on your webbing sheet, glue your block to your quilt. When it has cooled, you can use any decorative stitch to top stitch the edges of your block on to the quilt top. Easy applique ...
    if you don't happen to have a block, then cut around a picture in your novelty fabric, follow the same instructions, and VIOLA! You have created a theme quilt. I am going to look for a link that will help you see how to use the single sided webbing in the manner to which I am referring

  23. #298
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    612
    Quote Originally Posted by omak
    There are two types of fusible webbing.
    One type has fusible on only one side. Suppose you have an orphan block - - say, a 9 patch ... stitch the fusible, right side of the fabric to the glue side of the webbing (do not use an iron yet) ... stitch around all four sides of your block. Carefully lift the webbing away from the block and cut a slit in the webbing - - you will turn the block to the outside, which will put the glue side of the webbing ready to be ironed into place on your quilt.
    It would be a good thing to purchase a teflon sheet designed to withstand being ironed for the next step.
    Following the ironing instruction on your webbing sheet, glue your block to your quilt. When it has cooled, you can use any decorative stitch to top stitch the edges of your block on to the quilt top. Easy applique ...
    if you don't happen to have a block, then cut around a picture in your novelty fabric, follow the same instructions, and VIOLA! You have created a theme quilt. I am going to look for a link that will help you see how to use the single sided webbing in the manner to which I am referring
    Thank you so much. I am printing your tips/advice to help me!

  24. #299
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    612
    Quote Originally Posted by omak
    There are two types of fusible webbing.
    One type has fusible on only one side. Suppose you have an orphan block - - say, a 9 patch ... stitch the fusible, right side of the fabric to the glue side of the webbing (do not use an iron yet) ... stitch around all four sides of your block. Carefully lift the webbing away from the block and cut a slit in the webbing - - you will turn the block to the outside, which will put the glue side of the webbing ready to be ironed into place on your quilt.
    It would be a good thing to purchase a teflon sheet designed to withstand being ironed for the next step.
    Following the ironing instruction on your webbing sheet, glue your block to your quilt. When it has cooled, you can use any decorative stitch to top stitch the edges of your block on to the quilt top. Easy applique ...
    if you don't happen to have a block, then cut around a picture in your novelty fabric, follow the same instructions, and VIOLA! You have created a theme quilt. I am going to look for a link that will help you see how to use the single sided webbing in the manner to which I am referring
    Thank you so much. I am printing your tips/advice to help me!

  25. #300
    Super Member omak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Washington State
    Posts
    6,053
    I did a search, and this is one of the sites I found:

    http://quiltinaday.com/theater/block/block01.html

    it is Eleanor Burns, and bless her heart! I am not looking any further!
    I am busy watching the block party theater. This link is promised to show you the technique I was discussing. If it doesn't, I shall return however! You can learn a lot from Eleanor Burns, so turn up your sound and ENJOY!

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.