Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Super Fast Jelly-roll quilt >

Super Fast Jelly-roll quilt

Super Fast Jelly-roll quilt

Old 06-02-2011, 07:14 PM

Awesome!!!!! Soooooo easy the way you show it!!!!! Thanks ever sooooo much!!!!!!!
Old 06-03-2011, 05:44 AM

How does one enlarge this to make it a queen or king size?
Old 06-03-2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Browngirl
How does one enlarge this to make it a queen or king size?
If you increase the width of the strips, add more strips than the suggested forty, you will arrive at a size that might work .... for example, have you considered the math on a five inch strip? ... in fact, just to make it easy, let's just double the width and the number of strips:
each strip will finish at 4.5" (which contributes to the length of the quilt)
80 strips (usually 40" long) = 3200 inches (that is a LOOONG! strip)
by 4.5"
first fold = 1600 inches x 9"
second fold = 800 x 18"
third fold = 400w x 35.5"
fourth fold = 200x x 70.5"
fifth fold = 100w x 140"
don't forget, you are going to put a border or two all the way round.
My math may be a bit off, but you should get an idea of how to work the formula <wave>
Old 06-03-2011, 07:17 PM

Thanks, Omak

I am trying to get the hang of this jelly roll and all the lingo, (cut on the straight or diagonal?) and what you just posted has helped the most. I want to try one of these but I want to get it right, also. (the firse time)
Old 06-03-2011, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie Cornwell
Thanks, Omak

I am trying to get the hang of this jelly roll and all the lingo, (cut on the straight or diagonal?) and what you just posted has helped the most. I want to try one of these but I want to get it right, also. (the firse time)
A diagonal cut goes at a 45 degree angle from one edge of a strip to the other edge. It is used primarily (by myself) when joining binding strips because it allows the joints to be spread out, rather than right on top of each other when putting the binding on a quilt.
The straight cut is a 90 degree cut across the strip from edge to edge. It takes less fabric to make the joins when done this way, diagonal cuts not being an issue in this quilt/technique.
a straight cut is less work and more efficient use of fabric while doing quilt piecing.
If you just follow the original instructions, you will find this quilt almost mindless (unless you celebrate all the different colors and textures from the strips as they meet) ... if you are really concerned about the process, rather than jumping to a king sized quilt, stay with the first version. A 50" x 64" quilt + a three inch border all the way around is a very handy size for a lap robe - - quite generous for a baby quilt.
There is a lot of room to experiment with different sizes of this quilt if you don't mind spend a little time doing some math.
I don't remember, but it seems to me that someone even did the formula for a quilt made with 20 strips cut at 1.5" wide ...
I think it only took me about three hours to do my first one following the original posting. You will do fine! <wave>
Old 06-03-2011, 09:05 PM

I bought two jelly rolls a dragonfly and a stonehenge in neutrals and also some beautiful rd to combine in little shots with them. Can you help me figure out the right number of strips to get a long quilt between double and queen sized?
Also bought Over Easy and will try an interesting back.
Am finishing a Cdn comfort and remembrance project quilt at the moment and have to focus on it - one of the block piecers had a fall and during hospitalization it was discovered she has metastatic cancer and not long to live, so this UFO has got to become a princess as soon as I can possibly manage it. With an unusual windfall I bought a new Bernina with BSR - now all I have to do is learn to use it.....!!!!
Does anyone have experience with one? The store where I bought it is too far away and travel too expensive to go back and forth.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:08 PM

Thanks for this - I just asked about the math - will study this and get going.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Maurene
I bought two jelly rolls a dragonfly and a stonehenge in neutrals and also some beautiful rd to combine in little shots with them. Can you help me figure out the right number of strips to get a long quilt between double and queen sized?
Also bought Over Easy and will try an interesting back.
Am finishing a Cdn comfort and remembrance project quilt at the moment and have to focus on it - one of the block piecers had a fall and during hospitalization it was discovered she has metastatic cancer and not long to live, so this UFO has got to become a princess as soon as I can possibly manage it. With an unusual windfall I bought a new Bernina with BSR - now all I have to do is learn to use it.....!!!!
Does anyone have experience with one? The store where I bought it is too far away and travel too expensive to go back and forth.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-44258-10.htm

scroll down that page and you will see where I did a bunch of math with different widths of strips and amounts. If you don't find the size you are looking for there, let me know and I will see if I can get you closer to the size you want. <wave> If you post the measurement you are looking for specifically, it will make the job easier.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:34 PM

Maybe I should be practical - I have a nice Queen Size Heirloom 80/20 batt 108 x 90 I should make a top that size since.

I suppose I should make it an inch or two smaller than the batt? Maybe 106 x 88? or can I go the whole batt size with backing a couple of inches larger?

I'll check your instructions again. Thanks so much for the offer. The Jelly roll strips are 2 1/2" x 44 - 45.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:10 PM

Omak, I want to make a 12.5" square block using this method (for an exchange). Do you think if I used 1.5" wide strips it would look OK? I thought I would cut them into 2.5" lengths and be a little fussy in how I arranged them. I'm using 5 fabrics. Or would a little narrower strip look better? What do you think?