Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 225 of 599

Thread: Super Fast Jelly-roll quilt

  1. #201
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    1,228
    Made one up, it went super fast, thanks for sharing

  2. #202
    Super Member omak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Washington State
    Posts
    6,053
    I plan on putting a border or two around the whole quilt (am still thinking about cutting it up into two or three pieces and rotating them - - just thinking ) ... anyway, a quilt and then a big stippling (EXCELLENT place to practice feathers or that special technique you want to practice. The straight lines and color changes will bear just about any pattern you would choose to do

  3. #203
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    14
    Makes me want to leave work and go straight to the fabric store. I think I will let my granddaughter make this one. It sounds so fun and fast and easy that she would enjoy it. She is twelve and loves my sewing machine.

  4. #204
    Super Member omak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Washington State
    Posts
    6,053
    Quote Originally Posted by muchloved
    Makes me want to leave work and go straight to the fabric store. I think I will let my granddaughter make this one. It sounds so fun and fast and easy that she would enjoy it. She is twelve and loves my sewing machine.
    Instant results and great same action sewing - - the best thing a new quilter can practice on, to be sure!

  5. #205
    Super Member burnsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,365
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by omak
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsk
    While we are discussing this, I just saw another thread where the quilter did a strip block with an Ohio star alternated throughout the quilt. At step 4, where you have 8.5", you could subcut the strips into at least 35 - 8.5" squares ... you could alternate the strip direction every other block, and make the strips even scrappier ... the size would be 5 squares by 7 squares or 40" x 56" ...
    just an idea
    WOW - I like this idea. I'm going to try it either tonight or tomorrow. After I get the top done I'll try to post a picture. Thanks for a great idea.

    OMAK - as usual you're the best. Thanks.
    At step 4 I did the 8.5" cuts and ended up with 24 squares. So I made the quilt 4 squares by 5 squares. I need to search my stash to find fabric for borders so it'll be a lot bigger. The 4 squares that are left I am going to put into the center of the back. Will take pictures as soon as I get the borders on. This was fun and fast.

  6. #206
    Super Member omak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Washington State
    Posts
    6,053
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsk
    Quote Originally Posted by omak
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsk
    While we are discussing this, I just saw another thread where the quilter did a strip block with an Ohio star alternated throughout the quilt. At step 4, where you have 8.5", you could subcut the strips into at least 35 - 8.5" squares ... you could alternate the strip direction every other block, and make the strips even scrappier ... the size would be 5 squares by 7 squares or 40" x 56" ...
    just an idea
    WOW - I like this idea. I'm going to try it either tonight or tomorrow. After I get the top done I'll try to post a picture. Thanks for a great idea.

    OMAK - as usual you're the best. Thanks.
    At step 4 I did the 8.5" cuts and ended up with 24 squares. So I made the quilt 4 squares by 5 squares. I need to search my stash to find fabric for borders so it'll be a lot bigger. The 4 squares that are left I am going to put into the center of the back. Will take pictures as soon as I get the borders on. This was fun and fast.
    My math must have been waaayyyy off! apologies. But, as long as you are happy and have solutions, it might not be so bad. Your idea of putting the four squares in the backing is very creative!

  7. #207

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5
    I have made 2 quilt tops ---- now, how do I quilt them?

  8. #208
    Super Member omak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Washington State
    Posts
    6,053
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Ellen
    I have made 2 quilt tops ---- now, how do I quilt them?
    You can quilt anything you want on them!
    If the fabric used had a theme, you might incorporate that theme into the pattern.
    If you want to do a simple serpentine line every other line or so, that would be fine OR!
    A fairly open stipple/meandering would be wonderful.
    Practice your feathers!
    The world is your oyster for ideas

  9. #209

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5
    Thanks for the quick reply. I have made the 2 quilts lap size for my church Prayer Quilt ministry. The tops are pretty and colorful.

  10. #210
    Super Member omak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Washington State
    Posts
    6,053
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Ellen
    Thanks for the quick reply. I have made the 2 quilts lap size for my church Prayer Quilt ministry. The tops are pretty and colorful.
    You just happened to catch me. Will you remember to take a picture to share with us?

  11. #211

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    35
    OK so I am a newby and have to ask "what is stipple"? Sooner or later I will learn some of these terms but until then, I will use this thread a my personl dictionary:)
    Thanks!

  12. #212
    fromthenestdesigns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Fortuna, California
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamala
    OK so I am a newby and have to ask "what is stipple"? Sooner or later I will learn some of these terms but until then, I will use this thread a my personl dictionary:)
    Thanks!
    A stipple refers to an all over pattern like the one I've pictured.
    Don't be afraid to ask. We quilters love to help!

    Medium Stipple
    Name:  Attachment-74399.jpe
Views: 262
Size:  3.1 KB

  13. #213

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    35
    Thank you for the quick reply. You guys are soooooooo smart! I love the way everyone jumps in and helps answer questions. Your the best!!!!!
    Thank you!

  14. #214

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5
    When I get them finished, be glad to submit a pic --- if I can figure out how - I'm a newby.

  15. #215

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    12
    Thank you so much for this pattern!!!!! Great for charity quilts.

  16. #216
    Super Member burnsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,365
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by omak
    My math must have been waaayyyy off! apologies. But, as long as you are happy and have solutions, it might not be so bad. Your idea of putting the four squares in the backing is very creative!
    OK - it's done - front and back, ready to go to long-arm. I will post pics tomorrow, hopefully the sun will be out. I was hoping to find sashing and backing in my stash but, darn, had to make a trip to store to find just the right material. Found it and it's ready to go. Found lots of other stuff too.

    Had a good laugh today working on this one. Hubby was watching me measure, lay out fabric, lay out backing, measure, rearrange, measure, fold, measure, cut, layout, measure, cut, sew. He was trying to figure out what I was doing. "Making a quilt? Don't you just sew material together to make a quilt?" DUH - ya, sure. Were it that easy. Sure glad I took math classes in HS.

  17. #217
    Super Member omak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Washington State
    Posts
    6,053
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsk

    Had a good laugh today working on this one. Hubby was watching me measure, lay out fabric, lay out backing, measure, rearrange, measure, fold, measure, cut, layout, measure, cut, sew. He was trying to figure out what I was doing. "Making a quilt? Don't you just sew material together to make a quilt?" DUH - ya, sure. Were it that easy. Sure glad I took math classes in HS.
    Spoken like a true "civilian" who thinks "woman's work" is "simple"! (on the other hand - - if he is asking questions, it could just be that you are about to gain a quilting partner!

    :thumbup:

  18. #218
    DJ
    DJ is offline
    Super Member DJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    2,466
    Quote Originally Posted by omak
    - - math is FUN! LOL
    That's exactly what my DD said years ago as I was driving her home from school (5th grade). She is now working on her physics PhD!

    I'm anxious to do one of these quilts!

  19. #219
    Super Member omak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Washington State
    Posts
    6,053
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ
    Quote Originally Posted by omak
    - - math is FUN! LOL
    That's exactly what my DD said years ago as I was driving her home from school (5th grade). She is now working on her physics PhD!

    I'm anxious to do one of these quilts!
    It is a good pattern to get your feet wet - - sometimes, I am surprised at the math I did learn! Am also wondering what was wrong with those teachers to NOT use quilting for geometry? I know they tried to tell me that the "story" problems were designed to do that. HAH!
    They all seemed like trick questions to me! LOL and, I was never good with riddles

  20. #220
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    252
    I love this idea ! Can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing. :cry:

  21. #221
    Super Member burnsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,365
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsk
    Quote Originally Posted by omak
    My math must have been waaayyyy off! apologies. But, as long as you are happy and have solutions, it might not be so bad. Your idea of putting the four squares in the backing is very creative!
    OK - it's done - front and back, ready to go to long-arm. I will post pics tomorrow, hopefully the sun will be out. I was hoping to find sashing and backing in my stash but, darn, had to make a trip to store to find just the right material. Found it and it's ready to go. Found lots of other stuff too.
    Finally - here are some pics of my jelly roll quilt

    Front of quilt
    Name:  Attachment-88513.jpe
Views: 796
Size:  88.0 KB

    Back of quilt with left over blocks
    Name:  Attachment-88514.jpe
Views: 426
Size:  56.9 KB

    CLoseup
    Name:  Attachment-88515.jpe
Views: 468
Size:  70.5 KB

  22. #222
    fromthenestdesigns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Fortuna, California
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsk
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsk
    Quote Originally Posted by omak
    My math must have been waaayyyy off! apologies. But, as long as you are happy and have solutions, it might not be so bad. Your idea of putting the four squares in the backing is very creative!
    OK - it's done - front and back, ready to go to long-arm. I will post pics tomorrow, hopefully the sun will be out. I was hoping to find sashing and backing in my stash but, darn, had to make a trip to store to find just the right material. Found it and it's ready to go. Found lots of other stuff too.
    Finally - here are some pics of my jelly roll quilt
    Wow! It's beautiful! Love the colors and your layout. We quilters are able to take the smallest idea and run with it!!! I'll have to try this layout too.
    Thanks for sharing the pics! I'm sure it will look SPECTACULAR when the quilting is finished.

  23. #223
    Super Member burnsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,365
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thank you. One more quick ironing and then it's off to the quilters on Monday. They are fun and quick.

  24. #224
    Junior Member quiltaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    294
    Quote Originally Posted by fromthenestdesigns
    Super Fast Jelly-roll Quilt
    Approximate finished size: 65” X 79”

    This idea was shared with me by a friend. I’ve written it up so I can share it. Enjoy!!!

    What you will need: 1 jelly roll
    1st border: 1/2 yard
    2nd border: 1 1/4 yards
    Directions: Sew all the jellyroll strips end to end in random order. Cut the selvages off as you go.
    You will have a very long strip of fabric approximately 1600 inches long. (40 strips x 40”)
    Important: Cut 20” off of the beginning of the long strip of fabric and throw it in your stash. You won’t be using it. This will make it so your seams will be staggered as you sew them together.
    Now find the 2 ends of the strip and put right sides together and start sewing!!! Sew down the long side of the strip to the end and cut the loop at the end of the strip. You now have a very long strip that is 2-jellyroll strips wide.
    If you want to at this point, you can press them open, but pressing is really not necessary until you have the whole thing sewn. Remember this is supposed to be a fun and FAST quilt. Don’t stress over anything!

    Next...find the two ends of this long strip again and put right sides together. Sew all the way down to the end and cut the loop at the end again. You will now have a strip that is 4– jellyroll strips wide.

    Now... find the two ends of this long strip and put right sides together. Sew all the way down to the end and cut the loop at the end. You will now have a strip that is 8– jellyroll strips wide.

    Again...find the two ends of the long strip and put right sides together. Sew all the way down to the end and cut the loop at the end. You will now have a that is 16– jellyroll strips wide.

    For the last time…..find the two ends of the long strip and put right sides together. Sew all the way down to the end and cut the loop at the end.
    You will now have a that is 32– jellyroll strips wide.

    You are finished!!!
    You now have the center of your quilt.
    It should measure approximately 50” x 64”
    Square it up.

    Borders are next:
    1st border: Cut 6—2 1/2 inch strips. Join together.
    Measure and apply borders as shown.
    2nd border: Cut 7—6” strips. Join together.
    Measure and apply as shown.
    WOW how coolis this.

  25. #225

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4
    I have a question -- and forgive me if it's crazy, since I'm still a newbie. I'm just finishing up my first quilt ever (Amy Butler's Thea's Puzzle Quilt) and am going to try this one next.

    Is it possible to cut the strips of the jelly roll in half? So instead of being 2 1/2" by 40-ish, they'd be 2 1/2" by 20-ish? Then, still sewing them together (though I think you'd have to take a little more control over where you place which piece, since you'd have doubles of each) and leaving the process the same, would that work to make a scrappier looking quilt?

    Or, using the cut-in-half pieces again, could you do something like burnsk did above alternating horizontal and vertical squares, but with smaller squares?

    Forgive me if this doesn't make sense, but hopefully you get the idea. I'm so excited to try this!

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.