Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Dorothy's Hummingbirds. Crump, TN. 2010 season is over. We fed the hummingbirds 144 lbs of granulated sugar >
  • Dorothy's Hummingbirds. Crump, TN. 2010 season is over. We fed the hummingbirds 144 lbs of granulated sugar

• Dorothy's Hummingbirds. Crump, TN. 2010 season is over. We fed the hummingbirds 144 lbs of granulated sugar

Old 06-17-2011, 08:27 PM

In the Desert Museum has a Hummer Aviary. That's where I've seen hummer nests with babies. It's a wonderful place where I can spend hours! Once, I was standing in the sunlight, and a hummer plucked a hair from my head for her nest! Can't feel much more special than that!
    Old 06-18-2011, 04:25 AM

where is this "Desert Museum" sounds like a place i'd like to go ..
    Old 06-18-2011, 04:47 AM

Hello. So happy to see you. I checked my 2010 log and we don't get the droves of birds until late July. I have 6 to 10 so far (2011).
    Thank you for posting the photo of the nesting Momma. That is precious. A rare sight. I enjoy watching the cam GaiGai posted a few pages back.
    I mix my water 1 (cup sugar) to 4 (cups water). Then I give it a little bit more for extra energy if the weather has been rough and they may have been traveling to get here. :) I think they would like your Mom's 50/50. LOL.:thumbup: They will have to go to a different restaurant to get that here. I use 25lbs a week during peak. My husband tugs it home for me 2 and 3 25lb bags at a time. People at the checkout always want to know what he is cooking. LOL.
    Joanne, that is neat he took a piece of your hair for the nest. Special feeling.
    Do you think I should open a new post for the 2011 migration or just have the title changed on this one? What would you do and what would you prefer?
    So nice to visit with you, please drop in again.
    Old 06-18-2011, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by sewnmom
    where is this "Desert Museum" sounds like a place i'd like to go ..
    It's in Tucson, AZ. The Tucson Sonora Desert Museum - 200+ acres of animals and plants of the Sonora Desert in their natural setting - absolutely beautiful and fascinating. there are 2 aviaries - 1 for hummingbirds, the other for all the other birds. The rest of the animals are in natural settings elsewhere on the property - some with 'invisible' fencing.
    Old 01-31-2013, 09:29 AM

I was very pleased to see this post. I haven't been here in a while and it is so good to remember the good times..