Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Hand embroidery help please >
  • Hand embroidery help please

• Hand embroidery help please

Old 12-16-2013, 02:57 AM

Default Hand embroidery help please

I'm starting a wool felt project & I don't know what a primitive stitch is. I can do a button stitch but I don't have a clue on the primitive stitch. It seems as though they are just tiny stitches around edges of very small items, like a star where a button stitch might be too difficult. Is this right?
    Thanks in advance,
    Joan
    Old 12-16-2013, 03:28 AM
    Power Poster

I have seen 'blanket stitch/button hole stitch' also be called a primitive stitch- different regions use different names for the same thing- just like quilt block patterns may have a dozen different names. I do a lot of wool applique- use what ever stitch you like, want to do- you do not have to use any specific stitch. visit 'Sue Spargo' (s) website- she has a new stitch book out- even if you do not want to purchase the book it is fun to scroll down through her site- you will see lots of different stitches, threads, designs to give you ideas/inspiration.
    Old 12-16-2013, 04:04 AM

You're a blessing to me today. I can't tell you how long I've worried if I was doing the right stitch. So much so that I got everything cut out and then stopped. Thanks so much. I'll check out the website.
    Thanks again,
    Joan
    Old 12-16-2013, 04:15 AM
    Power Poster

​I have seen buttonhole stitch called a primitive stitch. I have also seen a running stitch or big stitch called a primitive stitch. Do what seems to suit you and the pieces.
    Old 12-16-2013, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by love 2 sew
    You're a blessing to me today. I can't tell you how long I've worried if I was doing the right stitch. So much so that I got everything cut out and then stopped. Thanks so much. I'll check out the website.
    Thanks again,
    Joan
    do the stitch that appeals to you. Nothing to "worry" about! It is your project.
    Sandy
    Old 12-16-2013, 06:30 AM

I do a lot of hand embroidery, I am not saying that makes me an expert, because I certainly am not, but the primitive stitch to me, is just a running stitch, and you want it to look almost like a child did it, so you dont want them all the same size or the same width between the stitches, and they are usually done in black thread.
    Old 12-16-2013, 07:43 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer
    I do a lot of hand embroidery, I am not saying that makes me an expert, because I certainly am not, but the primitive stitch to me, is just a running stitch, and you want it to look almost like a child did it, so you dont want them all the same size or the same width between the stitches, and they are usually done in black thread.
    Not that I do much but this description was what I thought a primitive stitch is, like a child did it. I had a dear friend who was into hand stitching using wool. Good Luck with your project !!
    Old 12-16-2013, 03:04 PM
    Power Poster

please show us a picture when you're done
    Old 12-18-2013, 04:46 AM

I am pretty sure the blanket stitch would be considered 'primitive'. Like Sandygirl said..do the stitch that appeals to you! Also, you may want to check this site..I absolutely love it! She shows step by step embroidery techniques, tips, tricks, book reviews, projects, free patterns, and on and on!! Enjoy!! www.needledthread.com
    Old 12-18-2013, 08:26 AM

my mother was a gifted seamstress though she didn't do quilts. She taught me to embroidery. A blanket stitch done with a contrasting thread, slightly uneven, is what i remember as a "primitive "stitch as well.