Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • HELP!!!!!!!   we are getting shocked. >
  • HELP!!!!!!! we are getting shocked.

• HELP!!!!!!! we are getting shocked.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    it happens to me here too.. dilute a lil bit of liquid downy in a spray bottle with water, spray carpet.. not only will it take away static cling it will smell April fresh... careful not to use too much downy will leave blue spots if u use too much- just a couple of tablespoons-depending on the size of your spray water bottle..
    This also works for me at home and at work.
    Old 12-09-2010, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Robinlee
    Checked on that......the house was built in 1998. Sometimes can happen if wiring was put in and someone stapled or nailed into the wiring. At the moment we don't think that is it. But it is on list if all of the great hints and such from this board are not working.
    Thanks so much.

Originally Posted by Karenn
    I hope that is just static electricity! I say that because when I was quite young we lived in a mobile home & we started getting shocked everytime we opened our door. It turned out to be an electrical problem and since this is a new home to you, maybe your hubby should look into that possibility. That was 45 years ago so I can't remember the actual cause but I do remember the shock because it was just like the shocks I get now that I know are caused by static electricity. I hope you can rid your house of the shocks soon, whatever they're caused by.
    Living in ND with the super low humidity and freezing cold temps causing the furnace to run so much of the time it's 99.9% certain that's what's causing it.
    Old 12-09-2010, 01:37 PM

We have the same problem. Dryer sheets, humidifiers, and anti static spray do help.
    Old 12-09-2010, 02:33 PM

This would happen in the hospital when I worked as a nurse. If you touched a bed rail you got zapped. If you touched the patient first, you both got zapped.
    I found that if I grounded myself first, by either putting my hip or my tummy against the bedrail, it diffused the static and - no more zaps.
    It's either that or wear a lightening rod on your head! LOL
    Old 12-09-2010, 04:26 PM

If I happen to have keys or some similar metal object, I touch doorknobs, etc. with that first. The static electricity comes through the key and the jolt isn't bad at all! Then I'll touch with my fingrs. I'm such a chicken and hate getting shocked!
    Old 12-09-2010, 04:58 PM

I absolutely hate getting shocked!! Especially when it happens in the grocery store. Sometimes I will stand there for at least 30 seconds or longer just looking at the canned goods, knowing I am going to get a big shock and trying to brace myself. What's really bad is when I have to go to the bathroom and I have to reach for that can.....I pray I won't pee my pants. :oops: I am the one going down the grocery isles saying "oooh, da--- it! I get a lot of wierd stares. ;-)
    Old 12-09-2010, 05:12 PM

If you have a crock pot, fill it with HOT water (so it doesn't have to heat up) and run it uncovered during the day. If you sprinkle some spices in it, it will make your house smell good, too.

Don't leave it on at night or when you're not home.
    Old 12-09-2010, 05:20 PM

Why not invest in another humidifier? It may be another solution. Doesn't your nose and throat get very dry? When mine gets that way, I know it's time to start the humidifier. Hope you find a solution to the problem.
    Old 12-09-2010, 05:59 PM

Depends a lot also, on whether you have a synthetic carpet or a wool one. We live in the driest continent in the world and don't have tons of trouble with it. It is helpful to tap anything that you think may have a charge with the back of your hand. The shock will make your hand recoil toward you and not force you to grab on to the object and thereby get a worse shock.
    Old 12-09-2010, 06:05 PM
    Power Poster

I kept getting shocked on an exposed screw in my fridge door. I put tape over the screw and I don't get shocked any more. You could put tape on your light switches then the electrical connection would be broken.