Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • What is your favorite cookbook?? >
  • What is your favorite cookbook??

• What is your favorite cookbook??

Old 09-28-2010, 03:41 PM

Mine would be Pass the Plate. It hasall my family favorites from chicken casserole, Cavatini and our traditional Christmas morning Sausage Souffle. It was compiled by the local Episcopal church.
    Old 09-28-2010, 06:44 PM

My grandmother's church in Tn was selling cookbooks in 1980 as a fund raiser. So, I bought one to help out. It has become my favorite cookbook. Above each recipe is the name of the woman that donated it. As I search the book for a recipe or decide to try something new it is always fun to look at the names, because it may be my grandmother, one of my aunts or a cousin. My grandmother died in 1993. The book is precious to me, but it has started to fall apart. I'm trying to type the book onto my computer to store it. I try to type as I can find the time...there are a lot of recipes. Plus, my daughter & son want a copy of it. I hope to print & bind it as one of their Christmas gifts.
    Old 09-28-2010, 07:25 PM

Any and all Goose Berry Patch cookbooks. I love to read all the stories along with the recipes.
    Old 09-28-2010, 08:13 PM

I love all my cookbooks, and there are many. I have the yearly Southern Living from 1979 to 2009. I think I will stop now, getting to where I don't like to cook much, just Hubby and me. Usually things pretty simple. But my favorite is a Church cookbook.
    Old 09-28-2010, 09:09 PM

I still love my old Betty Crocker that I got for a wedding shower 36 years ago.
    Old 09-29-2010, 05:14 AM

[quote=Debbie B]My grandmother's church in Tn was selling cookbooks in 1980 as a fund raiser. So, I bought one to help out. It has become my favorite cookbook. Above each recipe is the name of the woman that donated it. As I search the book for a recipe or decide to try something new it is always fun to look at the names, because it may be my grandmother, one of my aunts or a cousin. My grandmother died in 1993. The book is precious to me, but it has started to fall apart. I'm trying to type the book onto my computer to store it. I try to type as I can find the time...there are a lot of recipes. Plus, my daughter & son want a copy of it. I hope to print & bind it as one of their Christmas gifts.[/quote

Our favorite soup came from a church cookbook. DH and I were at an Elderhouse session in Ohio and our group had lunch at a local church. Everyone loved the French Spring Soup and as the recipe was in their latest fundraising cook book we bought a copy. My son Pat and family loves this soup and his wife makes it often when we visit. It's a simple chicken veggie soup with some cream added at the last minute, delicious. May in Jersey
    Old 09-29-2010, 05:33 AM

I love ALL cookbooks, but just received the new one written by Ree Drummond, AKA... Pioneer Woman. Lots of homemade ideas. ( no wonder I can't lose weight)
    Old 09-29-2010, 05:39 AM

Savoring the Southwest, have had it for over 20 years and have tried more recipes in it than any of the others I have...
    Old 09-30-2010, 03:48 AM

The cat is out of the bag -- Quilters do cook after all. My favorites are Taste of Home and Community Cookbooks. I love the idea that the recipes come from women just like me and I can count on having all of the ingredients in my cupboard or refrigerator. Most of those recipes are family favorites and they fast become my family's favorites also.
    Old 09-30-2010, 04:00 AM

Well, it depends on what kind of food your family and you prefer. Coming from Lancaster County, Pa. my mother purchased the Mennonite Community Cookbook by Mary Emma Showalter back in 1950 from a door-to-door salesman. My sister and I grew up with that book. In the early 70's it was damaged when Hurricane Agnes flooded my sister's home. We both purchased a new one and to this day, I still refer to it. Recently I saw it for sale on the internet.