Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • 3D Pinwheel block HELP >
  • 3D Pinwheel block HELP

• 3D Pinwheel block HELP

Old 07-23-2014, 08:14 PM

Default 3D Pinwheel block HELP

I need help. I have made 12-- 3D pinwheel blocks, how on earth can I square these up. I cut the pinwheel blade fabric smaller than the background fabric to allow extra for squaring up. Those blocks just don't lay flat so I can't just put my square ruler on them & square them up. There has to be a way to square them up. The only thing I can think to do is cut an 8 inch square of plexi then cut the center out so the pinwheel can stand up. The block is fairly easy to do but what a mess of seams back there. I also think I need one of those rubber mallets. LOL.
    I'm also working on a mini 3D Bowtie quilt. Just hope these don't become UFO's.

Last edited by true4uca; 07-23-2014 at 08:16 PM.
    Old 07-24-2014, 04:45 AM
    Power Poster

Sorry, never made one...no help!
    Old 07-24-2014, 05:05 AM

totally off the top of my head... no idea if it will work.

Lay folded towels (I'm thinking folded once, two thicknesses) on your cutting mat, on 3 sides of the blocks, with a space in the middle for the pinwheels. Leave room on the 4th side for about 4" of the block to be flat on the mat. Put your blocks facing down. lay your square ruler on, cut the open (4th) side. reposition your block to cut each side, but you will have enough of the two connecting sides flat to check your block is square.

Or, use the lines on your cutting mat & a thin cutting ruler. You would be cutting off the trim edge, so cutting toward your block, you'd have to be very very careful to not slip away from the ruler.

Hope you find a way.

I bet your blocks are pretty!
    Old 07-24-2014, 05:07 AM

Not sure I can answer your question. I made a 3D pinwheel quilt several years ago and copied the directions I found on this board, which I have attached for you. Perhaps this will help. I've also attached a photo of the quilt I made. Hope you figure it out. The directions from this board are attached as a PDF file - hope you can open it.
    Attached Thumbnails november-2012-quilting-sewing-002.jpg  
    Attached Files
    File Type: pdf
    3 D PINWHEELS PDF.pdf (329.1 KB, 151 views)
    Old 07-24-2014, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by true4uca
    I need help. I have made 12-- 3D pinwheel blocks, how on earth can I square these up. I cut the pinwheel blade fabric smaller than the background fabric to allow extra for squaring up. Those blocks just don't lay flat so I can't just put my square ruler on them & square them up. There has to be a way to square them up. The only thing I can think to do is cut an 8 inch square of plexi then cut the center out so the pinwheel can stand up. The block is fairly easy to do but what a mess of seams back there. I also think I need one of those rubber mallets. LOL.
    I'm also working on a mini 3D Bowtie quilt. Just hope these don't become UFO's.
    They sell little clear rubber dots - which I have tried - that stick to the bottom of the ruler. My complaint with them is that they raised up the ruler too much for me. Maybe that would help with this problem?
    Old 07-24-2014, 05:29 AM
    Power Poster

I am someone who enjoys squaring blocks up too so I stay away from anything 3D. The only thing I can think of is to square it up using the lines on your mat. CHECK FIRST to make sure they are accurate and that you block does NOT move. I made this quilt which the dog was made from artificial fur and I took things very slowly when I trimmed the center block.
    Attached Thumbnails westie-close-up.jpg  
    Old 07-24-2014, 07:00 AM

Allyoop1 that is just so pretty. Just love that blue. I cut my background blocks a half inch bigger. Wanted to make sure I didn't chop of my pinwheel points. Thanks for the PDF.
    Old 07-24-2014, 07:02 AM

Thanks, I think I have some of those dots. It might be easier to just go by new.

Originally Posted by eparys
    They sell little clear rubber dots - which I have tried - that stick to the bottom of the ruler. My complaint with them is that they raised up the ruler too much for me. Maybe that would help with this problem?
    Old 07-24-2014, 07:05 AM

That looks like a very pretty quilt, could you post the whole thing ( gotta have my eye candy). I am cured of my need to make 3D quilts.

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
    I am someone who enjoys squaring blocks up too so I stay away from anything 3D. The only thing I can think of is to square it up using the lines on your mat. CHECK FIRST to make sure they are accurate and that you block does NOT move. I made this quilt which the dog was made from artificial fur and I took things very slowly when I trimmed the center block.
    Old 07-24-2014, 07:11 AM

Alleyoop1..........great quilt and thanks for the information.............