Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
505 spray for hand quilting? >

505 spray for hand quilting?

505 spray for hand quilting?

Old 06-12-2022, 05:34 PM

Default 505 spray for hand quilting?

I've just read over an old thread on whether or not 505 spray ever washes out. Putting that aside for a moment, does it make hand quilting more difficult? I'm wondering about the ease of needling the quilt sandwich with adhesive on the inside of it.
Old 06-13-2022, 02:40 AM

I've never tried it but I would be very hesitant. I would think the adhesive would bind up the needle and make it very difficult to pull the needle through by hand.

I usually pin baste my quilts. If they are large (queen/king) and I'm hand quilting, I've taken to thread basting simply because it's much lighter and easier to move around.

I'm sure others will be along that have more experience with this method.
Old 06-13-2022, 03:00 AM

I spray baste for DMQ so I don't have the experience of using it hand quilting. I think the main issue would be that with hand quilting, you handle the quilt so much longer in one area and with the basting, I would wonder if the spray basting would come loose because of that.

Old 06-13-2022, 03:29 AM

I just finished a table runner using 505 spray and big stitch quilting. I had no issue with the needle gumming or the layers separating. I am not heavy handed with the spray so that might be a factor. I have found that letting the piece sit for a few minutes and/or pressing after the layers are together seems to help. I pressed the runner after. You might try a smaller project first to see how it works for you. Hope this helps a bit.
Old 06-13-2022, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

I don't have an answer for you but I'm a hand quilter and I use large basting stitches to hold the layers together. Spray baste worries me as I don't know if it harms the quilt over time. Maybe someone else knows.
I realize this doesn't answer your question but I thought I'd throw out another way to baste.
Old 06-13-2022, 06:10 PM

Today on The Quilt Show with Alex Anderson she talks about different ways of basting your quilt for hand quilting and machine quilting.
It's a good video to watch maybe somebody could please post the link to it.
Old 06-15-2022, 06:44 PM

I've used 505 for hand quilting with decent results. Use a light hand with the spray and back it up with either pins or basting stitches if you're going to be moving the project around a lot, especially taking it on/off a frame or in/out of a hoop.