• Main
  • afraid-to-use-my-fabric-stash-itis >
  • afraid-to-use-my-fabric-stash-itis

• afraid-to-use-my-fabric-stash-itis

Old 09-25-2018, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by zozee
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]601605[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]601606[/ATTACH]

Okay, here are my picks. The top picture shows my Pick 4. All were ones I've not been able to bring myself to cut--till now.

The second picture is the one I chose. I'm going to make pillowcases for Christmas for my DIL who loves the beach. (She's the one expecting the twins on Dec 1, and I think she'll need some relaxing thoughts to lay her head on when she's exhausted or just enjoying snuggling the babies.)

I'm imposing a deadline on myself of Oct 7.
    Zozee, this would make a great challenge in the challenge section!!
    Old 09-25-2018, 05:22 AM
    Power Poster

zozee...would love to take your challenge, but like NatalieF said...timing is not right. That being said, I have 2 quilts planned using some pretty fabric...just haven't had time to get to them.
    Old 09-25-2018, 06:53 AM

My solutions is Fabric Aholics. Meeting place Local Fabric Store. Entrance requirement fabric purchase. Why worry about it. My Mom when she went to assisted living left me a house full of knickknacks to sort through, unfortunately her thimble collections from her travels was promised to a granddaughter. I don't buy knickknacks so they will be left with fabric.
    Old 09-25-2018, 08:47 AM

This is not something I have a problem with. I have lots of fabric that I've not found the right pattern for yet, but when I do I have no problem cutting into it.

I love shopping from my stash as much as I love shopping for my stash. What I don't like is when I decide I want a specific color and have to find that. My sis wanted a quilt to match her bedroom, and she sent me paint chips and that was a very, very hard blue to match.
    Old 09-25-2018, 08:54 AM

oh yeah, I have alot that I won't cut; still waiting for the perfect pattern
    Old 09-25-2018, 09:26 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]601639[/ATTACH]Here are some !!!!! of my fabrics too pretty to cut. It is a gold leaf and silver leaf in various colors. I did use the medium brown one in a quilt top and it brought $200.00 at a sale. This is by Blank Quilting.
    Attached Thumbnails 20180924_071121_resized.jpg  
    Old 09-25-2018, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy224
    Oh Watson!!! That is the most beautiful fabric I have seen in a while! Is it currently available? Who makes it? Like you I would never be able to cut into it. I would make a whole cloth quilt and use just as it is. Back it and bind it....keep it on my chair and use it every single day.
    Wow, just wow.
    Your Democratic National Convention list??? lol, I have a hard time switching our acronyms sometimes. I'm like Murphy, use it as is, but my idea was to make a shatter quilt, or something like that, so you could use this with its beautiful color gradations in place.
    Old 09-25-2018, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts
    I too have a lot of fabric but it's not because I don't want to cut into it, mostly it's because there are so many quilts that I want to make and then another pattern comes out that I have to make but need that fabric........
    Same here.
    Old 09-25-2018, 03:17 PM

I have several fabrics I can't bring myself to use. A couple of years ago I had a layer cake that was too pretty to use. I was making a quit for my grandson. It was perfect for it. All the right colors etc. I was shopping for different fabric to use in the quilt. I was in the LQS and finally told myself if my grandson isn't special enough for this fabric what is. I ended up using it and the quilt is adorable.
    When you have these fabrics ask yourself, aren't all of my quilts special. Use the pretty fabric. It is so much fun to sew it.
    Old 09-25-2018, 05:22 PM

When l retired from work, my " buying power" decreased big time! I now shop my stash for every quilt l make, unless l simply don't have the right colour...then l may buy a bit more. If you make quilts for yourself and close family, you can still see & admire those lovely fabrics...and so can others.. Don't wait until you can't sew due to illness etc. What if you suddenly had to move to a small place? A flood, or storm! Use it or lose it.