Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Any "New" Opinions on the Baby Lock Sashiko Machine? >
  • Any "New" Opinions on the Baby Lock Sashiko Machine?

• Any "New" Opinions on the Baby Lock Sashiko Machine?

Old 09-12-2016, 07:54 AM

Default Any "New" Opinions on the Baby Lock Sashiko Machine?

I found a few older threads (from back in 2013, I think) about the Sashiko machine on the boards, but was wondering if anyone has had more time to use it since then and has an opinion, one way or another.

I was at a sewing event this past weekend and saw a lot of things that can be done with the machine. It's on sale during September and I'm having a hard time talking myself OUT of buying it...LOL. I just love the stitch it makes and I see lots of possibilities for using it (not just quilting).

All opinions welcome!!
    Old 09-12-2016, 09:21 AM

I would like to see the back of the stitching. I read some didn't like the look of it. No dealer here so I'd have to order it before trying it out so I would need reviews from others that have it and use it.
    Old 09-12-2016, 10:01 AM

The back of the stitching looks nothing like the front, so I think some quilters who are real purists wouldn't be happy with it (at least, those are some of the comments I've read). The back is supposedly tiny chain stitches, but they pretty much look like regular machine stitches to me.

Here are a couple of blogs that reviewed the machine (no affiliation, just found these while searching for info myself):

http://www.sewinginsight.com/babyloc...o-blqk-review/

http://blueribbonquilting.blogspot.c...o-machine.html
    Old 09-12-2016, 10:28 AM
    Power Poster

I would not buy it because it is a "one-trick pony" - meaning I'd spend a lot of money for a machine that does one type of stitch. But that's me and it has nothing whatsoever to do with the quality of the machine itself.
    Old 09-12-2016, 05:43 PM

I've been a little curious about this machine, too. I saw a demo and talked to the shop owner about it last year. I also saw some quilts that we quilted with the Sashiko machine - the stitche length can be adjusted. The stitches I saw looked just like regular quiltimg. I was impressed. I didn't see the back so can't comment on now it looks. This dealer (in Greencastle, PA) offered a really good deal last year but the sale for Sept. is even better. I am really tempted but since I got a really nice deal on the Ricky Timms version of the Bernjna 350PE back in May for about the same price, I don't think I can justify another new machine.😁😁😁. I would be interested in hearing more about the Sashiko machine so I'm hoping that someone will comment who actually owns and uses one.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
    Old 09-12-2016, 06:43 PM

I had one. I really liked it. I loved the stitch. The back is like a regular stitch. As long as your not entering in a quilt show its fine. I recently sold it because I started free motion quilting and feel in love with it. I lady I sold it to used it all the time and really likes it.
    Old 09-13-2016, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I would not buy it because it is a "one-trick pony" - meaning I'd spend a lot of money for a machine that does one type of stitch. But that's me and it has nothing whatsoever to do with the quality of the machine itself.
    It might only do one stitch but you can do many things with it, just by raising the presser foot, or varying the stitch length or the space between the stiches, you should check out some of the you tube videos to see what all can be done. Each stitch is a complete stitch so you don't even have to back stitch. If you have a Baby lock machine you can also use the feet from it for the sashiko
    Old 09-13-2016, 05:35 AM

Judy, I agree! Evy Hawkins is affiliated with Baby Lock and has quite a few videos on techniques to do with the Sashiko machine. http://www.abitofstitch.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=34

I'm inching slowly toward making this purchase...LOL... I'm in big trouble!