Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • batting question >
  • batting question

• batting question

Old 02-20-2011, 05:11 AM

Hi All-

As I begin to delve deeper in this fun art/craft, I am wanting to purchase a roll of batting for queen sized quilts. Joann.com has the queen sized roll of Warm and Natural for around $300, but I can use a coupon and get it for half off. My question is/are: what batting do you like to use? If I want to make a trapunto type quilt top, which would be best for that? AND, what batting tends to last a long time?

I have used warm and natural, and to me, its kinda thin, but I guess I could make 2 layers? Is there a batting that gives some loft??

Thanks!
    Old 02-20-2011, 05:17 AM

Personally, I love warm and natural (100% cotton). Many of the high loft battings have some polyester in them and I've found that you get some fibers working themselves through the top over time. Then they pill up..... I don't like that. Cotton batting doesn't seem to do that. And I like the flatter quilts (thinner batting).

I've never done a trapunto quilt top so perhaps someone else will have a better choice for that.
    Old 02-20-2011, 05:21 AM

My favorite batting is Dream Cotton. I no longer purchase Warm & Natural because it's so thin. I like a little "umph' to my quilts. Warm & natural is ok for wall hangings but it has gotten way too thin over the years to where I just don't like using it if I don't have to. There are different thicknesses that you can buy depending on how thin/thick you want your quilt. It also comes in polyester if you want a warmer quilt for the winter....
    Old 02-20-2011, 05:22 AM

To me, a double layer of Warm and Natural is too hard to quilt through. I have used the 80/20 batting (80% cotton, 20% poly) and like it pretty well. One layer makes a lightweight quilt and a double layer is warmer and has more loft. With 2 layers I can still FMQ it on my domestic machine. I used Hobbs Washable Wool in one quilt and just love it--it's so warm and fluffy! The wool batting takes special care when washing though, while a quilt made with the 80/20 I can throw in the washer and dryer.

As far as trapunto goes, I've used poly batting so that it really puffs up, but it depends on the look you want.

I've seen several people mention that poly batting can "beard", but haven't seen that myself...My mom used poly batting in all her quilts and even after so much use that they are threadbare, they are not bearding. It does concern me that something like this could happen though...

The batting you choose use is entirely personal preference, and you'll find what you like. Right now JoAnn's has all of their batting at 50% off; you might buy some different varieties in the single packages so that you can try them out and find your favorite before committing to a whole roll of a single type.
    Old 02-20-2011, 05:32 AM

I use Warm and Natural for all my charity quilts. Love it because it is thin and does not add extra bulkiness or weight for babies/adults in hospital or illness situations, etc. Just got 10 yards on Overstock.com for $40.00.
    Old 02-20-2011, 05:38 AM

I love warm and natural. Its thin but very warm.
    Old 02-20-2011, 06:20 AM

Depends on the look and feel I'm after. Warm and natural is nice for the antique look. I use it most often. But there are some quilts that I dont want to shrink so much and wont be used for covering up. So in those I use a low loft poly that is really cheap.
    Old 02-20-2011, 06:33 AM

The quilt I have on my bed is poly filled and it will be 35 years old in July..and I have no issues with it yet. My grandma had made this quilt for my husbands birthday.
    Old 02-20-2011, 06:35 AM

I use queen size rolls of 6 oz. polyester bonded quilt batting. I get mine from Fabric and Textile warehouse for $65. It makes about 8 queen quilts.
    Old 02-20-2011, 06:39 AM

We had a speaker at the quilt guild who likes to use wool batting for trapunto. She said that the areas not quilted had a higher loft to show off the trapunto. I've never done it.