Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina record 730 stitching help! >

Bernina record 730 stitching help!

Bernina record 730 stitching help!

Old 06-27-2012, 10:32 PM

Question Bernina record 730 stitching help!

Okay! Well today was an awesome day! While looking through a really messy and old sewing shop, I spotted a used Bernina Record 730 on top of a shelf! The dealer gave me $280 for it and I immediately took it. I hope it was a good deal! (I think it was) The Bernina was in pretty good shape and I also tested it and all of the stitches worked including the decorative ones! But when I got home, I wiped it down to get all the grime off and I think I messed with the dials because now the decorative stitches are only going straight. But this can be fixed by turning one of the dials but I just don't know which one!! I looked over the manual many times but can't find any hints. So does anyone own this model that can help me? Thanks!!
Old 06-28-2012, 01:48 AM

I would try to get the manual first. Hope you can get one. Good luck
Old 06-28-2012, 07:10 AM

I have this machine and I just got the manual out. The Fancy Sititching info is on page #58. But the info on pages #56 & #57 are helpful too.

On page #8 (showing all the parts), part #18, the Stitch Width Control lever, will need to be moved, so your stitches will be wide(r) than a straight stitch.

On page #59, it shows all the fancy stitches and it looks like you need to set the stitch width at #4.

These stitches are not working on my machine; but I have only had it serviced once in 43 years. I will be taking it in sometime soon to get it serviced over. But I did just buy a new Janome 6600 (loving it); and a Singer Featherweight (in hopes of taking some quilting classes.

You have a great machine there ... enjoy it

jody
Old 06-28-2012, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by jj1150 View Post
I have this machine and I just got the manual out. The Fancy Sititching info is on page #58. But the info on pages #56 & #57 are helpful too.

On page #8 (showing all the parts), part #18, the Stitch Width Control lever, will need to be moved, so your stitches will be wide(r) than a straight stitch.

On page #59, it shows all the fancy stitches and it looks like you need to set the stitch width at #4.

These stitches are not working on my machine; but I have only had it serviced once in 43 years. I will be taking it in sometime soon to get it serviced over. But I did just buy a new Janome 6600 (loving it); and a Singer Featherweight (in hopes of taking some quilting classes.

You have a great machine there ... enjoy it

jody
Jody, I've tried that also but I don't think its working I got the manual online though and am looking over it but its so confusing! Do you think it has to do with the foot that I'm using? But I only have the walking foot since the dealer sold it to me without those...
Old 06-28-2012, 09:27 AM

How about going back to the dealer and asking him what is wrong? He should have given you some kind of warranty...even if it's a vintage machine.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

Is this the foot you are trying to piece with? This is a walking foot:

Old 06-28-2012, 06:45 PM

happiness ... I would use the foot that is used for zig zag for the fancy stitches. And I never had a walking foot for my machine. I am glad someone posted it .... as I do not have a foot like that!!!

I hope you can get it working. You also have to monkey around with the little lever on the right (I think it has a triangle on it) .... and this fine tunes the satin stitch. The farther up it goes, the tighter the stitch is.

Keep us posted as to your progress!!!

jody