Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bugs in batting >
  • Bugs in batting

• Bugs in batting

Old 07-23-2017, 04:06 AM

Do everything previously mentioned...but put batting outside too, maybe more won't get out. Perhaps you could use scotch tape over one and then see it easier. What a nightmare. Will not order from them.
    Old 07-23-2017, 04:32 AM

can you give a general description of the bug? You say it looks like a pantry bug - a larder beetle? Little black beetle with a lighter colored zigzag stripe across the back?

I feel for you. How terrible!
    Old 07-23-2017, 05:35 AM
    Power Poster

How horrible!! And not something anyone would ever think could happen! Thank you so much for joining the board and warning us of this possibility. I am extremely concerned when you say they are so tiny as bed bugs are also tiny and have a similar appearance to beetles. Google images of them. Additionally they spread so easily. They could have been in the distribution center where it shipped from, or on the employee' clothing who packed your order or any number of possibilities. You have my sympathies in this ordeal. I would definitely be contacting Walmart right away as they should be responsible for extermination fees. Exterminator would be next and I would ask them to document everything so you can go back to Walmart with it. Please do come back and let us know what the outcome is. What a horrible thing to happen.
    Old 07-23-2017, 05:40 AM
    Power Poster

I had these before! A big teddy bear given to my DD was infested with these little bugs and I didn't know it. She put the bear on a shelf and never played with it. They were weevils . The bear was in the house for a long time before we noticed and the only way I noticed was the bugs grew wings and started flying. After getting rid of the bear and killing any we saw flying around I never had a problem with them.

I doubt it's bedbugs, you don't see those out in the open. They hide from light.

Last edited by Onebyone; 07-23-2017 at 05:43 AM.
    Old 07-23-2017, 07:06 AM

OP please update us! I'm scared!!! Have you been eaten alive by the bugs? Please respond!
    Old 07-23-2017, 07:41 AM

Hubby thinks weevils from China.
    Old 07-23-2017, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Chem
    OP please update us! I'm scared!!! Have you been eaten alive by the bugs? Please respond!
    Just reread this and realized it sounded sarcastic-- not my intention!

I am very concerned about RK and deeply grossed out at the situation she is in . Please let us know how you are dealing with this RK. What a scary thought that anyone of us could order batting online and receive an infestation- Ugh!!!!!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-23-2017 at 10:21 AM. Reason: remove shouting
    Old 07-23-2017, 10:19 AM

I'm not a bug phobic or anything near that, but if the batting was made in China, or anywhere that's not USA, it does need to be reported I think. There have been many instances of harmful insect infestations from foreign countries. You don't want the next Dutch Elm disease or Emerald Ash Borer in your sewing room. Maybe put the batting + insects in a big bag for now.
    Old 07-23-2017, 10:31 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Chem
    Just reread this and realized it sounded sarcastic-- not my intention!

I am very concerned about RK and deeply grossed out at the situation she is in . Please let us know how you are dealing with this RK. What a scary thought that anyone of us could order batting online and receive an infestation- Ugh!!!!!
    I didn't think you sounded sarcastic at all. This ordeal is really gross! I feel for her.
    Old 07-23-2017, 10:41 AM

I sure hope it's the lesser of two weevils.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.) At any rate, yes, that's totally gross and should be Walmart's entire responsibility. Document everything! Pictures of the bugs, of where they are in your room, how widespread they are (maybe take video if possible), document the time it takes you to clean and bag stuff. Seriously, this is nasty and is making me itch just thinking about it.