Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Buying a new machine? What one? recommendations Bernina/Husquavarna? >
  • Buying a new machine? What one? recommendations Bernina/Husquavarna?

• Buying a new machine? What one? recommendations Bernina/Husquavarna?

Old 10-28-2013, 07:24 AM

Enjoy your new machine and let us know how it goes.
    Old 10-28-2013, 07:31 AM

I recently purchased a pre- owned Bernina 820. Really love that machine. I also have the Bernina 440 but was getting too difficult to push big quilts thru that opening. Did do research first before purchase.
    Old 10-28-2013, 07:32 AM

I looked at several and am really impressed with the Pfaff Ambition 1.0. You might want to consider that. It has many great "quilting" functions plus some extras and comes in at under $1000. in Canada.
    Old 10-28-2013, 07:39 AM

I have a Singer Confidence Quilter that I paid $274 for on Amazon. It does 91 decorative stitches, feed dogs can be down for FMQ, easy to load bobbin, easy to thread, and it has never failed me. I also have a Pfaff which is a workhorse and has never failed me either and I didn't pay that much for it. The only thing that I would like to have is a bigger throat, but I've learned to work around that as well. Good luck with your choice and don't let some smooth talking salesperson talk you into more than you want.
    Old 10-28-2013, 08:19 AM

I have just bought a Pfaff performance 5.0 and it is the best machine I have ever used. I just love it. I have a Janome and a Husqvarna and it is way way better than both of them. Highly recommended.
    Old 10-28-2013, 10:20 AM

BabyLock 'Elizabeth'..........has lots of things I love. should be under $800 US, don't know about out of the country price. Got mine from a local dealer with free classes.........best wishes
    Old 10-28-2013, 01:13 PM

I have to say Bernina is the way to go. I bought my 1530 22 years ago and have only had it into the shop for routine maintenance. HOWEVER I did buy the top of the line when I bought mine AND I would not do that again. It is a computerized machine with LOTS of fancy stitches, I only use a few of them . Just saying. LOL
    Old 10-28-2013, 02:44 PM

I just a Janome 2222 for a machine light weight to take to classes. It is a wonderful little basic machine. Straight , zig-zag stitch, nothing fancy. Very solid feel beautiful stitch machine. I also have a Janome 8900 and a 350e. Love all 3
    Old 10-29-2013, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by feffertim
    I have just bought a Pfaff performance 5.0 and it is the best machine I have ever used. I just love it. I have a Janome and a Husqvarna and it is way way better than both of them. Highly recommended.
    I've just started to look at buying a new machine. How large is the harp on the Pfaff 5?
    Old 10-29-2013, 06:08 AM

I have a Juki 98Q...it is straight stitch only. I read and read on the juki forum at Yahoo, and ended up buying mine without ever having sewn on one. I cannot tell you how much I love this machine. It has made all the difference in getting quilts quilted...I use it almost all the time. I had a Pfaff but let my daughter take it home...that after thinking I would never find a machine I liked as good as it.

I know the bigger space is what made the difference, but still, it sews wonderful, too. Several people on the forum have other, much more expensive machines and say they prefer the Juki for piecing...that it makes a better stitch than their other expensive machines.

I have a Viking that I kept for its blanket stitch...my Pfaff was only a tiptronic 1171 and did not have one. Also, I knew the Pfaff for her was better as it never has had problems.