Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying new singer >

Buying new singer

Buying new singer

Old 11-06-2007, 04:34 PM

Hello everybody,
I've been wanting to buy a new singer sewing machine. Do you have any suggestions on which one would be the best one to buy? I looked at a Singer Quantum 9940. It was about $740. And there was another one that was about $400 but I forget the number. I don't want something really hard to operate. I am used to my old vintage singer. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Judy in Ohio
Old 11-06-2007, 06:07 PM
Power Poster

Go to a dealer and sit down and do some sewing with the various machines. I did that yesterday and could not believe the differences between them all. That is my two cents worth :D
Old 11-07-2007, 02:24 AM
Administrator

that two cents is worth a million $$$
:P
Old 11-07-2007, 05:53 AM

http://www.taunton.com/threads/pdf/S...chineChart.pdf has a comparison chart for sewing machines, but it all comes down to what you want and what you'll use.

Bring some scraps and batting to test machines you want to quilt with. If you are going to use it for a long time, you may want to go for more features than you currently use, just to stretch your abilities. Some accessories can really be pricey, so make sure to figure the cost in if not included.

Ask questions about the mechanics. I bought the commercial Singer, thinking it was all metal. First time it was in the shop, I found a lot of it was plastic painted to look like metal, and the works were not nearly as heavy-duty as I had been led to believe.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:44 AM

Lucky lady, just remember they won't go through everything like the old ones ......oh but the wonders those new ones can preform
Old 11-07-2007, 10:07 AM
bj

I just bought a little Singer Touch and Sew 7466. Haven't used it much yet, but so far I love it. Once you try out machines, you might try this sight for prices. www.sewinginusa.com. I decided to go ahead and get a better machine when I saw that JoAnn's had the one I wanted on sale for $269. I got online to see if this one did a blanket stitch. Couldn't tell, but they had operators online who would answer questions. In corresponding with them, I said I had found one for the same price they had posted. They gave it to me for $219, and they didn't charge me shipping or tax. It came in on Monday (within 5 or 6 days of ordering). They offer online support, but the machine can be serviced at any Singer dealer. So far, I'm really pleased. They also have a pretty broad line of accessories (quilting foot, etc.). They also carry brands other than Singer.