Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
can poly jerseys go onto t-shirt quilts? >

can poly jerseys go onto t-shirt quilts?

can poly jerseys go onto t-shirt quilts?

Old 04-07-2011, 07:27 PM

I've made t-shirt quilts before with t-shirts. A lady wants me to make one with 100% polyester jersey shirts. She also has a nylon shirt and an Under Armor shirt, both of which say "do not iron". Since I iron tricot onto the back of the shirts, should I tell her I can't do shirts with nylon, Wonder Armor, or polyester? Thanks for your input!
Old 04-07-2011, 08:03 PM
Power Poster

I have a T-shirt quilt in my future (need to make a start soon) and frankly I'm dreading it. I have worked with a lot of different materials, but so far no Poly/nylon. If you are keen to tackle it...maybe buy a couple of second-hand shirts of the same material and do a few practice squares. You can then see the results for yourself and then decide if you are willing to go ahead and/or if she likes the finish before committing to the work. Sorry I can't be of more help...but I'm sure someone here may have tried it.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

I like the idea of doing some test runs. Perhaps ask the lady if you can use parts of the shirts in question for a test run to see if they will work with the tricot. It's nylon tricot, so obviously nylon can stand some heat. I'm thinking the fusible may work okay for the shirts in question as long as you are careful to use a pressing sheet and iron from above the nylon tricot (instead of the shirt side).

Another possibility would be to spray baste the shirts to the tricot instead of fusing with heat.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:51 AM
Power Poster

You can iron these, with a cooler temp setting. Most say this so you do not iron over the screen printing as it will stick to your iron.

If you can find a fusible interfacing that will adhere with lower temps, it should still work just fine :D:D:D