Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Can you really make money with your passion? >
  • Can you really make money with your passion?

• Can you really make money with your passion?

Old 02-18-2011, 09:47 AM

Most of us (on this board) would love to be even more involved with the world of farics, quilts and all the wonderful gadgets that go along with them. Have you ever considered the viability of your passion for these things? Could you earn a living doing what you love?
    Are you "good" enough to support yourself with your work? Are you knowledgeable enough to buy, display, teach, and market all that is involved with quilting?
    Could you bear to turn your "passion" into a job?
    Old 02-18-2011, 09:48 AM

I'm trying but not selling anything! I still enjoy making things though. :)
    Old 02-18-2011, 09:52 AM

I think the youthful members might have a chance. Takes too much work for me so I sell low to share and then make more. It's an up and down market. I can sell one month hundreds and the mnext month nothing. People who do not quilt do not appreciate the time and talent that goes into a quilt. I will watch this topic. I would love to hear what others think.
    Old 02-18-2011, 09:57 AM
    Power Poster

Not me, I'm retired and don't want the pressure of doing anything for the public. I was a systems analyst but made cards, invitations and favors on the side. It was fun, but to WANTING make something vs. HAVING to make something is what makes a hobby enjoyable!
    Old 02-18-2011, 10:00 AM
    Power Poster

I think a lot depends on where you live, where you sell and how much profit you are needing to make.
    It seems like here in my area it went from few LA'ers to many. With the economy the way it is now, not many of them seem to be all that busy :(
    Quilts sell well in some locations out here, but not so well in others or are selling for much less.
    Personally, I don't care for the pressure of quilting for resale LOL I am happy with what I do now :D:D:D
    Old 02-18-2011, 10:09 AM
    Power Poster

The best example of making it work is Bonnie Hunter. She started with quilting for others and now is the no 1 sought after teacher, lecturer, and author. She is booked solid for a year in advance. If you have the energy, the passion, and the personality, and a DH that isn't your shadow, you can make a big success of quilts as your income
    Old 02-18-2011, 10:45 AM

What about selling online? Not necessarily full size quilts but small things like table runners, wall hangings, children's items, Christmas ornaments, etc. I have been looking at ecrater.com. Anybody selling there? Etsy has gotten so large and Ebay has apparently become difficult to work with. Love to hear some success stories.
    Old 02-18-2011, 10:56 AM

My friend with her Gammill long arm has tried to make it her living for the last couple of years. While she has had pretty steady work, it has not made her the income she had hoped and her business has left her with little time, energy or enthusiasm for doing her own projects. The "having to quilt" for $ has sucked out some of the joy of creating for her. She has recently decided to go back to her nursing career and spend her leisure time in her quilt studio just working on her own projects and a few select things for friends. After working with her to try and help her finish up some orders, I think I would find the same thing. If you are considering a LA career, I'd advise spending some time with someone already in the business. I know I am now positive that I don't want to start my own quilting business or even buy a LA machine.
    Old 02-18-2011, 11:05 AM

To me it is disappointing when you try to make a little money from something you love doing and no one values it as much as you.
    Old 02-18-2011, 11:17 AM

It could be because I don't know how broad the market might be here, but I don't think I realistically could, at least not here. I've had a few people ask me about prices and when I told them they weren't interested anymore. I've also had a couple who are willing to pay the price. So I think I'll leave it my hobby and make occasional customer quilts when requested. If I start getting to the point where I have more quilts than I know what to do with (not happening yet, because I only started quilting 6mos ago!), I might put them up for sale, but not so much for profit. In the meantime, I'm keeping my day job, which is part time and affords me plenty of time to quilt!