Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Creative ways for storing threads and bobbins >
  • Creative ways for storing threads and bobbins

• Creative ways for storing threads and bobbins

Old 10-19-2014, 02:22 PM

I have always struggled with this. I do embroidery, also, so I tend to collect a lot of thread. I used to keep it on a wooden thread rack, but the thread was getting dusty. I then went to flat plastic storage boxes with wooden dowels (that I hot glued on) to hold the threads. I now use the Connecting Threads boxes and love them. I don't store my bobbins with the thread but there is room for that if you want that. I love theses boxes, as the other poster said, they don't take a ton of space.
    Old 10-19-2014, 03:45 PM

I went to a class at a local sewing machine store and a lady's DH put a piece of pegboard in the bottom of a storage case. He then put short dowels in the holes and she put her thread on the pegs. She said it was cheaper than the conventional thread boxes and easy to take to class because she had all her embroidery thread with her. I thought it was a great idea.
    Old 10-19-2014, 04:35 PM

Those thread cases from Connecting Threads look wonderful! And to hold 46 spools would be more than enough room. Now I'll have to browse the site for other things...
    Old 10-19-2014, 07:41 PM

I have a plastic case that has 44 spaces for thread 22 on each side, but I keep bobbins in a clear bobbin case. I got this case in a thrift store for $1. so I can't recommend a source.
    Old 10-19-2014, 07:57 PM

Although I don't do this, I would think for easy access you could use muffin tins in a drawer. You could keep a spool with its bobbin in each cup, see them at a glance, not even have to take the whole bin out of the dresser drawer . Of course if you DO want to move it all it once, you'd have to carry it carefully.

What about styrofoam egg cartons? Again, not something I've tried, but you'd have separate compartments for small spools and bobbins, with lid, in this "case."
    Old 10-20-2014, 03:26 AM

Don't overlook plastic cases in sporting goods for fishing tackle supplies or in hardware stores for storing various items.
    Old 10-20-2014, 03:52 AM

I use the clear plastic boxes the kids use for Hot Wheel Cars, it works great for thread. For my Bobbins I use the little Singer clear plastic bobbin boxes works for me. The Hot Wheel Boxes open on bot sides which gives you lots of room for spools.
    Old 10-20-2014, 04:21 AM

Good Morning someone gave me 2 cases with the spindles in them for threads, you are more than welcome to both of them if you like? I have no use for them and you could fill them up and slide them under the bed? Or put them in the closet. They are like little plastic suitcases LOL I don't know how to describe them, but they are yours if you want them? Rachel
    Old 10-20-2014, 04:43 AM

Can you post a link for the Connecting Threads thread boxes?
    Old 10-20-2014, 04:59 AM

I have a plastic box from Joann 's (I think, I've had it fro several years). I use it when I go somewhere for more than a few days and intend to sew while I'm there. :-) It has places for your thread and I put the bobbin under the matching thread. There's also 2 spaces for misc stuff like small scissors, needles, thimble, etc.