Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does anyone curse when quilting? >
  • Does anyone curse when quilting?

• Does anyone curse when quilting?

Old 05-26-2011, 10:29 AM

I have indeed spouted a few choice words while piecing! And I don't think God is going to drop me off his list because of it.
    Old 05-26-2011, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by apronlady
    I admit it...I lost it; I was alone, so no problem. I had such success on my first quilt and now #2 is a log cabin pattern. I HATE IT! Making 56 blocks with 8 different fabrics and most of them were off. It just isn't any fun and to get aggravated; I'm a comedian not a screamer/curser!

Tell me that the log cabin was too advanced or some other comforting words. I sew too fast, and perhaps this is the problem. At this rate, I'm ready to retire the quilting until it's time when I retire, cause it takes so much time and my patience is waning. It's supposed to be fun, right?
    There are a lot worse things than a little or even a lot of cussing. What I always hope is that the cuss words wash out when I get through the with quilt! froggyintexas
    Old 05-26-2011, 11:03 AM

In theory, log cabins are easy but you seams need to be almost perfect-I do this for fun not for perfection!!!! I tend to make debatable 1/4 inch seams and that really throws a LC off. Make sure the last "logs" are a bit wider then you can trim the squares to all the same size.
    Robin
    Old 05-26-2011, 11:05 AM

I take the easy way out when making log cabins. I paper-piece it. Even then, I've done some **** words.
    Old 05-26-2011, 11:06 AM

"cussing" is a no-no. doesn't help a thing.

Shame on you.

sassy granny
    Old 05-26-2011, 11:13 AM

quote - {And foul words have never, ever, ever crossed my lips.:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Ever.}

*Obviously written by someone who has never sewn a finger, hit one with a hammer, stepped in a hole and broke and ankle, been shot in the butt with a BB by a little brother, etc. lol!
    Old 05-26-2011, 11:26 AM

Ok, I only read the first page of comments, so this my have already been mentioned. You my have forgotton to take a chocolate break chased by a diet coke. ok, so now you know my poision. What ever yours may be, go for it, as you do this you are taking a minni break, it works. How are your seams? Would a 1/4" foot with guide help? I read a previous post that said "don't precut your strips" well I have bought kits that are precut, refer to above poision. It really will turn out beautiful. I think most of us have been there and cussed that:).
    Old 05-26-2011, 11:59 AM

Log cabin pattern can be tedious. Remember to square after each round. Your strips may not be completely even, but you are just learning and entitled to give yourself the luxury of a few boo-boos. Put this quilt aside for a few weeks and do a simpler pattern so you can give yourself satisfaction of completing something. Go back to the log cabin and work on it a little at a time. Remember that we are all here for you. We have all been at the same place that you are right now.
    Old 05-26-2011, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by apronlady
    I admit it...I lost it; I was alone, so no problem. I had such success on my first quilt and now #2 is a log cabin pattern. I HATE IT! Making 56 blocks with 8 different fabrics and most of them were off. It just isn't any fun and to get aggravated; I'm a comedian not a screamer/curser!

Tell me that the log cabin was too advanced or some other comforting words. I sew too fast, and perhaps this is the problem. At this rate, I'm ready to retire the quilting until it's time when I retire, cause it takes so much time and my patience is waning. It's supposed to be fun, right?

put it away and do something easier and fun. then go back and figure out what you were doing wrong. I just had to totally pull apart a quilt I am doing for my daughter and realized I was messing up on the 1/4 " seams. sigh.......
    Old 05-26-2011, 01:04 PM

I have made many log cabins using Eleanor Burns' pattern and it is really easy. Take a day off from your cabin quilt and then try it again. Good luck. Oh, and yes I do curse too!!!