Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Drawing and FMQ >
  • Drawing and FMQ

• Drawing and FMQ

Old 10-09-2011, 05:52 PM

Maybe the old exercise we used to use for art classes would help you begin to draw in a more relaxed way.

I think this came from Drawing from the Right Side of the Brain ... or some book like that.

In drawing a chair:
    Don't draw ... draw the negative space around the chair ... and maybe even draw it upside down.

Sorta like that old shadow picture where you had to look at the open spaces to see the work Jesus as all the darker areas were what was the negative space around the word.

Wish I could state it better. Maybe someone else can.

It all comes down to practice, practice, practice. Then dropping those negative comments in your head about your work.

ali
    Old 10-09-2011, 06:50 PM

Sadiemae -Thank you for the link to the free panto's. I was going to buy stencils, these will work even better!

I'm really not frustrated. I'm aware of my capabilities and my strengths and weaknesses. All elements of quilting are a challenge for me, but I love the end result, so I keep trying to get better at it.

I can bake! We may not have beautiful handmade quilts to keep us warm but we won't starve!
    Old 10-09-2011, 07:12 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom
    Sadiemae -Thank you for the link to the free panto's. I was going to buy stencils, these will work even better!

I'm really not frustrated. I'm aware of my capabilities and my strengths and weaknesses. All elements of quilting are a challenge for me, but I love the end result, so I keep trying to get better at it.

I can bake! We may not have beautiful handmade quilts to keep us warm but we won't starve!
    I think you will have beautiful handmade quilts by the look of your avatar. Don't count yourself short, we all learn in different ways at different speeds. I see all of the beautiful paper pieced quilts and know I would never finish them in several lifetimes.
    Old 10-09-2011, 10:39 PM

Pooh I can't draw either!!!
    Old 10-10-2011, 02:52 AM
    Power Poster

20 some odd years ago a friend and I were trying to teach ourselves to batik - using wax and dye - we put wax in a little pipe like thing or a paint brush and made designs on fabric - then dyed - I had a pretty hard time of it. I'm not a good drawer - I can come up with ideas real good. My friend could draw... Long story short. One day her dad who was a professional graphic artist back in the day came over to see what batik was. We set him down and he got really into it - beautiful work. I asked him how he knew what to do. He just laughed made a few comments but what stuck with me was when he said, "There isn't really ANYTHING you can't get good at if you practice long enough." It's been my motto ever since. If I flub up, I just haven't practiced enough.
    Old 10-10-2011, 03:36 AM

Try hobby lobby or michaels
    Old 10-10-2011, 03:58 AM

That i.s me I have tried to copy on lines. Can't do that either
    Old 10-10-2011, 04:04 AM

My Granddaughter has a art book that has exercises to draw things like circles and lines to help improve and keep your drawing skill. So just like sewing. The more you do it the better you will get.
    Old 10-10-2011, 04:14 AM

Also watching the videos on YouTube over and over - listen to them explain what they are doing and tell yourself I CAN DO THAT. Every quilt I make I look at as a new learning experience. I'm practicing on every one.
    Old 10-10-2011, 04:15 AM

don't give up get a good book that teaches free motion work and follow the exercises I can't draw a straight line and I took a free motion class and was surprised how easy flowers, leaves and even feathers can be I really learned a lot