Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Entrys for the Fair??? >
  • Entrys for the Fair???

• Entrys for the Fair???

Old 07-12-2012, 10:11 AM

Default Entrys for the Fair???

When entring quilts and table runners and palcemats in fair would it be better to make these things with unwashed fabric?
    This way the fabric would look new and crisp, I know that I could wash the fabric and use a spray spray starch, but even doing that the fabric still dose not look real new and crisp, I have used a heavy spray starch and this still leave the fabric looking like it was washed compared to the unwashed fabric....What are your thought on this ...Thanks so much
    Old 07-12-2012, 11:14 AM
    Power Poster

It's best to check if your Fair has any rules regarding this.

All of my entries for the Fairs are made for my own purposes first ... and if they fit the classes at the Fairs, and I feel they are up to snuff ...... then they might get entered. So that means, all of my fabrics are washed first, before I assemble them into a quilt, tabletopper, etc.

I press well and starch all thru the process ... my fabrics turn out pretty fresh and crisp, so I'm not sure why your concern. Actually, to be honest, many of the fabrics look far better after they've been worked with, than in the original unwashed and as-is purchased state. At least that's what I see with the ones I do.

Any of the Fairs that I have shown at you must NOT wash your item after it has been made.
    Again ... check your local rules!
    Old 07-12-2012, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Any of the Fairs that I have shown at you must NOT wash your item after it has been made.
    Again ... check your local rules!
    Seriously? So is the expectation that you make the item without any markings on the top, not to mention a sterile environment? (My quilts get dog hair on them in process. I HAVE to wash them.)
    Old 07-12-2012, 12:00 PM
    Power Poster

i've been entering quilts in the fair and a couple local shows for years---every item i make is washed before going anywhere- i've never heard of a rule that it could not be washed- in fact one show they are very (picky) at and have disqualified quilts that had not been washed.
    they must be clean- mark free for entry.
    every quilted item i make is laundered as soon as the binding is done- it is to me the last and best step of the whole process.
    Old 07-12-2012, 12:19 PM

I've never seen a rule that says they can't be washed. not sure what the reasoning behind that would be. i know ours expects the items to be clean.
    a couple years ago one lady i know took the christening dress she had made for her GD and entered it AFTER the baby had worn it . she washed and pressed it. you couldd't tell it had ever been worn
    Old 07-12-2012, 08:22 PM

Some fairs do not want washed items. The one I want to enter mine into next year wants them unwashed
    Old 07-12-2012, 09:15 PM

Our fair has no requirement that items be unwashed. The main requirement is the items be made in the last year. Since it's possible for a quilt to be almost a year old it's unrealistic to expect it to be unwashed.
    Old 07-12-2012, 10:07 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
    Some fairs do not want washed items. The one I want to enter mine into next year wants them unwashed
    Well then, I guess it's not just the Fairs in my area that require the items to be unwashed. Thanks DolphynGyrl

Perhaps one of the reasons for unwashed items is to see how clean one keeps their work, as they work on it?

As for unwashed quilts that are a year old ... if unused, why would they need to be washed ScissorQ?

As I mentioned in my original post ... check the rules of your Fair/Competition ... I did not say it was the case at ALL Fairs. Likewise, the requirement for fabric samples along with the entries.

Even here, the rules vary from Fair to Fair, though the one consistent is the unwashed requirement!
    Old 07-12-2012, 10:45 PM

Our local county fair says that all entries must be cleaned and pressed, made within the last year (since the start of the last fair), have a 4" sleeve for display purposes, and name the (longarm) quilter if someone else quilted the top. The pattern name and quilt name need to be provided as well as the name of person entering who made the top. There is a separate category for hand quilting, machine quilting, hand pieced, professionally quilted, and applique. There are separate divisions according to size and age of the exhibitor or group.
    Old 07-12-2012, 11:12 PM
    QM
    Power Poster

In my area, there is not such thing as a "no wash" rule. What VickyS says is true here, but always check the local rules. If you want that extra crispness, press with a spray.