Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Flannel sheet for batting >
  • Flannel sheet for batting

• Flannel sheet for batting

Old 12-04-2010, 01:15 PM

what do you use to back these flannel lined quilts?
    Old 12-04-2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ritacarl
    I spent $0 on my Tumbling Blocks quilt. Now keeping in the same mode, what about using a flannel sheet for the batting? I think I have heard of it done, but don't know if it is a good idea. I can buy batting, I'm just keeping the theme going. Also, am going to use up large pieces of material pieced together for the backing.
    Rita
    I have used flannel and love the weight and feel.

I had acquired some sweatshirt knit fabric some time ago and decided recently to use it to back some charity quilts. I didn't use a batting at all, just the top and sweatshirt knit for the backing. I loved it!
    Old 12-04-2010, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by NanSew
    Originally Posted by Ritacarl
    I spent $0 on my Tumbling Blocks quilt. Now keeping in the same mode, what about using a flannel sheet for the batting? I think I have heard of it done, but don't know if it is a good idea. I can buy batting, I'm just keeping the theme going. Also, am going to use up large pieces of material pieced together for the backing.
    Rita
    I have used flannel and love the weight and feel.

I had acquired some sweatshirt knit fabric some time ago and decided recently to use it to back some charity quilts. I didn't use a batting at all, just the top and sweatshirt knit for the backing. I loved it!
    A caution here, make sure you don't stretch the backing too much if it is knit. Just heard a nightmare story about fleese on the back of a quilt, the gal wanted it longarmed. What a disaster
    Old 12-04-2010, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jenni M
    I see lots and lots of flannel sheets and pillow cases at our local Goodwill in excellent condition. I think I will follow your lead and try using one as batting. Thanks for the idea!

Jenni

PS Don't cry...we love you! hehe
    I think I will do the same. Headed to the goodwill today! It sure sounds like it will be easier to fit under my machine!!
    Thanks!!
    Old 12-04-2010, 02:35 PM

One trick I employ is using old electric blankets. You can usually get them on the cheap at thrift stores. They're made of such warm material. You can strip the wires out and use it for your batting AND your backing. Kill two birds with one stone. I've done it a few times. Those are the warmest ones of all.
    Old 12-04-2010, 04:14 PM

I just love this whole "thread" with the recycle reuse aspect, I am going to use lots of these ideas, and seems to me it will allow me more quilting because it will be lots easier on the pocketbook.
    Thanks for the ideas, Rita
    Old 12-05-2010, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Maureen
    what do you use to back these flannel lined quilts?
    FLANNEL!!! LOL <wave>
    Old 12-05-2010, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Lilrain
    For anyone who wants to try this, shop the Goodwill, Salvation Army stores, St Vincent DePaul stores, Value Village, Deseret Industries. You can quite often get a flannel shett, sometimes never used for just a couple of dollars. Another thing that works great if you are typing is the old style mattress pads. My friend and I used many of those in charity quilts.
    Can you explain to me about the old style mattress pads? What makes them more useful than current mattress pads? <wave>
    Old 12-05-2010, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    i've used lots of flannel for batting, works great, just wash it once before using it, if it's a sheet thats been used, washed over & over you are already good to go :thumbup:
    My top sheets last much longer than the bottom, so I have been using them as batting for the 'summer' quilts for the porch. They are already pre-shrunk as well!
    Old 12-05-2010, 10:14 PM

Thanks so much for this thread. I have 3 kids quilts to finish for Christmas, the tops are done & I'm onto the dreaded next step but the cost of batting right now, considering I still have shopping to do (for 7!), was really on my mind. I also have to get backing fabric for 2 of them. Just had an ah-ha moment :idea: about the big shelf full of stray sheets I found in boyfriends linen closet when I moved in. There should be some suitable in there and one of the goodwills in town has a great selection (as I found out when I came home with 3 afghans one day, lol). I can finish the quilts for little to no $ and the lighter weight will be good for their climate. Also less stress & strain on my arms & hands wrestling them through the machine (last donation quilt almost laid me up).