Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fleece tie blanket! >
  • Fleece tie blanket!

• Fleece tie blanket!

Old 10-30-2013, 05:01 AM

Default Fleece tie blanket!

Does anyone have other ideas on the old tie blanket (Fleece) I would like not to tie it, I was thinking about sewing around the sides in about 3" and then just cutting a like fringe around the sides. Has anyone done this and how do you think it would look, think it would curl up a little, I would not mind if it did curl up. I just do not want to tie the ends because gee I just don't .... Ha I have used the satin blanket binding before and that works pretty good just costly... ! Or does anyone have any other ideas?
    Old 10-30-2013, 05:09 AM

I just finished making 3 of the fleece blankets. I didn't want to tie them either. So I Googled fleece tie blanket
    video patterns. The one I used , all you had to do was make a small slit and pull the strings through. This was a lot easier than tying them. The video was very helpful.
    Old 10-30-2013, 05:11 AM

You would just be sewing 2 pieces of fleece together, so I would think it would work. I wonder if you could do some simple quilting lines to help it lay down or maybe a decorative stitch inside the original stitching to stiffen the edges a little, if necessary. It is a great idea for something a little different.
    Old 10-30-2013, 05:27 AM
    dd

I thought about this too. I was thinking of cutting contrasting or coordinating fleece and sewing it on kinda like binding.
    Old 10-30-2013, 05:28 AM

I think that I would wash and dry the fleece first. A friend gave me a tied fleece blanket and when I washed and dried it - it really went wonky. Looked like really nice quality fleece too.
    Old 10-30-2013, 06:07 AM
    sap

I've made fleece blankets. went to a little more work though. I cut it into 6.5 squares sewed them together with a 1" seam allowance then sniped the seam allowance. looks something like a rag quilt, yes the fringe curls with time but I think that adds to the charm. I call them, "woobbies" the men in the family say NO BODY IS GOING TO BECOME BETWEEN ME N MY WOOBBIE
    Old 10-30-2013, 06:16 AM

There is a rotary cutter blade that punches a small hole about an inch apart as it rolls. Our Linus Project chairperson got them through the mail. We use them to punch a line of holes about 3/4 to an inch from the outside edge of the fleece and then crochet a yarn decorative edge around the whole piece. I usually use a piece of fleece that is one yard by the width of the fabric. I cut off the selvages before I punch the holes. I can do one in an hour easily watching TV etc. They work out great for our teen patients.
    Old 10-30-2013, 06:27 AM

I think your idea to sew a seam three inches in and then cut a fringe would work well. We've had some turned in to our Project Linus chapter before, and they looked very neat and smart.
    Old 10-30-2013, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by llweezie
    Does anyone have other ideas on the old tie blanket (Fleece) I would like not to tie it, I was thinking about sewing around the sides in about 3" and then just cutting a like fringe around the sides. Has anyone done this and how do you think it would look, think it would curl up a little, I would not mind if it did curl up. I just do not want to tie the ends because gee I just don't .... Ha I have used the satin blanket binding before and that works pretty good just costly... ! Or does anyone have any other ideas?
    My friend did it this way for her son and it turned out nice. She did not tie them at all--don't know how it was after she washed it.
    Old 10-30-2013, 12:43 PM

I braid mine as I do not like the hardness of the ties, especially after washing them. Here is a link that shows what the braiding looks like. Many videos online show how to do this.
    http://www.piecesbypolly.com/2010/12...-tutorial.html