Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • fusible adhesive? anyone? >
  • fusible adhesive? anyone?

• fusible adhesive? anyone?

Old 01-10-2021, 02:32 PM

Default fusible adhesive? anyone?

I am just getting started on Rob Appell's pattern "Unstrung Heros" for my GS graduation this spring. Rob suggests
    Heat-n-bond featherlite. JoAnn's carries only the heavy-weight and pellon heavy weight and 805. Does anyone know if the 805 and the featherlite are comparable? I have looked on amazon but you have to buy a full bolt of it. Thanks for any info.
    Old 01-10-2021, 04:24 PM

I would get the featherlight, not either of the others you mentioned, in my opinion.
    Old 01-10-2021, 04:46 PM

I've never used the HNB Featherlite but I've used Pellon 805 for all of my raw edge applique and it's been awesome. Joann's carries the 805 (Wonder-Under). A number of folks really enjoy MistyFuse as well but my understanding is that it is not paper-backed but is still double sided fusible web.

I would not recommend heavy weight fusible if you're planning to put it in a quilt.
    Old 01-10-2021, 07:33 PM

I use Steam-A-Seam Lite 2 for my appliqué and I can get it on Amazon for a reasonable price. I'm taking a class in a couple of weeks and the instructor suggested the MistyFuse because it adds less bulk if you have multiple layers of fabric so I bought some of that on Amazon too. It's unbelievably thin (spider web like) so I'll see how easy it is to work with and whether I prefer it.
    Old 01-11-2021, 07:13 AM

Thanks for your help all. leheath8 I did find steam a seam at $6 a yard, is that about the right price? Does the mistyfuse have a paper back? I did find that at $4 a yard.
    Old 01-11-2021, 08:37 AM

I always buy by the bolt. It last a good deal of time but always comes in handy along the way.
    Old 01-11-2021, 08:55 AM

I found Misty Fuse difficult to work with because it is so thin. It was a struggle to get the unused portion under control. I prefer Steam-A-Seam Light 2. I bought a roll of it on Amazon.
    Old 01-11-2021, 09:03 AM

just make sure the steam a seam is the lite weight stuff....if you use a heavy weight fusible...sometimes it is a real problem as it is too stiff and thick for your needle to go through.....
    Old 01-11-2021, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by laurilli
    Thanks for your help all. leheath8 I did find steam a seam at $6 a yard, is that about the right price? Does the mistyfuse have a paper back? I did find that at $4 a yard.
    Yes, those prices sound about right. I bought the MistyFuse on Amazon and it was $30 for 10 yards. The MistyFuse does not have a paper back - it literally feels like handling gossamer threads! The Lite Steam a Seam 2 comes in a variety of sizes - I've bough a roll and sheets. Make sure you get the Lite version - it is slightly more expensive, but necessary if you don't want multiple layers ending up too thick to quilt.
    Old 01-11-2021, 06:27 PM
    mkc

Also realize there appear to be 2 different types of Steam a Seam Lite. If it has a "2", it's double-sided, so you can reposition. If it doesn't have a "2", it's single sided and only one side is "peel and stick" and repositionable. The other side won't stick until you apply heat.