Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Garrulous Quilt >

The Garrulous Quilt

The Garrulous Quilt

Old 01-20-2007, 09:03 PM

When the experts would say to "let the quilt talk to you and tell you what it needs..." I would laugh and say, "Sure!" just a tad skeptically!

Well, my quilt is talking to me now and it just won't shut up! Keeps changing it mind too! I think it's about settled down though. It better be! I'm tired of this changing it's mind in the middle of the road!

I started the quilt January 2 this year. I pieced one block each day, a plan that fit my schedule. In just 12 days I had all the blocks finished and now it was time to pick the setting. I had some thought on the subject but then the quilt started talking this morning! Each block will have either a green or a purple border and there will be purple and yellow flower sashing between the blocks. Not my original plan and not even the fabric I was going to use!

Now the quilt is wanting to go on point it says. "What's wrong with straight rows," I ask? Problems, problems, problems. Probably thinks it's a ballerina! Now it wants a square in a square block to act as cornerstones. Sigh! See, you let a quilt talk and it just goes crazy and never shuts up and before you know it you have another whole weeks worth of stitching to do before you can get around to calling it a top! I'm just hoping that my fabric lasts long enough to make corners and triangle inserts.

That's the other thing about this quilt. It uses up all the fabric and then demands that you pick another fabric to fill in where the first ran out. I have already had to switch the purples and whites! If this happens again it will be the seventh time it's pulled that stunt.

And then there's the block that has one piece turned 90 degrees. What's up with that? I'm leaving it.

SO, beware when they say, "let the quilt tell you what it wants!" They can become quite unreasonable! :!:
Old 01-20-2007, 10:00 PM
Sis

Location: Born a SE Ohio Buckeye,now a Middle Tennessee Volunteer

Your cute story is just the chuckle I needed today. Good luck in getting your quilt under control. :wink:
Old 01-21-2007, 03:49 AM

Proving that quilters can go off in their own little worlds, because they have great conversation along the way, And they are amazed at the end of their journey what they have found.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:56 AM
Boo

Yvonne, I'm looking forward to seeing the talking quilt. I actually had one that was suicidal! Fear not, I sent it to an online friend who nursed it back to health and it now is a background for a lovely applique. Just remember that a quilt doesn't always know the right way to go. It gets confused too. :lol:
Old 01-21-2007, 11:37 AM

Yvonne, you really gave me a chuckle and a few minutes back in time. My mother use to like to write and in fact wrote a couple of little pieces about going to the fabric store and trying to pick out the right fabric. Your little story sounded just like something she would have written.

Thanks for the memory!

Judyjo
Old 01-22-2007, 09:50 AM

Yvonne, that's the best laugh and story I've read in days!!! My sides are so sore now, but I love it!

Thank you so much, I'd forgotten we're supposed to enjoy this and not be so serious about it all the time.