Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Got this far, now I need HELP, what next >

Got this far, now I need HELP, what next

Got this far, now I need HELP, what next

Old 03-31-2011, 04:21 AM

I have only made one quilt and a few small projects, but I tackled this.. How should I finish it? I am going to try to post pictures and my question is what border should I put on this? Green then rope ---rope then green - either or. The grass fabric is for the back. I thought I would put one of the large horse panels in the middle of the back.
I thought this would be easy, but have changed so many times. It started out I was going to put sashing around each panel with the rope fabric, didn't like that and changed to the green. Now how or should I finish.
This is for my step-son and wife, I want to take to them in Oklahoma when we go in May.
Finally, do you usually stick with your original plan when making a quilt or does it change as you go like this one did.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-177696.jpe  
Old 03-31-2011, 04:24 AM
Power Poster

I would make my first border from the green background. then another border, thinner, probably, of the light brown. nice horses.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:36 AM

Selecting borders is such an individual choice thing. I spend more time doing that than anyone should!! You will get many suggestions, and you should "try them all out." Lay your quilt top down and lay the borders next to it. You will probably find that some really appeal to you more than the others. I usually lay mine on a bed, figure out the ones I think I want, and then walk away for 30 minutes or so and come see if I still like what I have selected. If not, I start over.

I tend to prefer two borders. Usually my outer border is darker than the inner border....but not always.

I really like your quilt! I am trying to decide what I would do. I am liking the idea of the first border being the green background. It would give the pictures the look of "floating." I am NOT good at selecting fabric, as I can't seem to visualize well, so....well, I am going to just not suggest a second color, though I would put a second border on. I will be coming back to this thread to see what others suggest. I just wanted to offer my method of selection....trying different borders out.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:19 AM

you have done a great job. i to would put the green on next , because i feel that would tie the whole quilt top together. than i would add the brown. do you have a dark bown on there to? if u do you can use the for the binding.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:22 AM

Try out (audition) different colors. Then do what looks best to you.