Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is Hancock's the new JoAnns? >
  • Is Hancock's the new JoAnns?

• Is Hancock's the new JoAnns?

Old 07-07-2011, 12:33 PM

I haven't been to Hancocks for about a month, went in to to the Hancocks in Gladstone Mo, it has always been a dreary store, not very inviting. I was so surprised they have changed everything around and have cleaned up the store but...... they seem to have cut way back on the amount of fabric they have It has now become like JoAnns more into crafts now when you come into the store you are greated by a fairly good selection of beads. The whole middle of the store is crafts.
    Old 07-07-2011, 12:35 PM
    Power Poster

Ours is all torn up. I couldn't find anything there. They are expanding their craft section. Sigh.
    Old 07-07-2011, 12:42 PM
    Banned

Ours says cotton and fabrics have gone way up so they are expanding into a lot of other areas. I'm sure they would like to compete with Joann's. Our local Joann's has gone up to where on some items they are the same if not more than LQS. Batiks for $12.99 yard.
    Old 07-07-2011, 12:43 PM

I was wondering about that myself. When I was at the Salem Hancocks the other day, they had just opened a new JoAnn's across the road. The clearks and another customer were discussing the new store. The customer said she had just been over there and that she was not happy because it was like the store was geared toward crafters more than sewers.That their craft section was almost out numbering the floor space for the fabric. I haven't been to the Albany JoAnnes for a few months. Well have to go check it out, see if that is what is happening there.
    Old 07-07-2011, 12:46 PM

Same thing in the Little Rock, AR store. I was in there yesterday and they had totally rearranged the store and the fabric section was smaller. But, they were having a 50% off sale on many of the fabrics, so I got some of those. And they are opening a new Hancocks store in North Little Rock, AR this week. So looks like they are definitely not sitting still.
    Old 07-07-2011, 12:53 PM
    klc

Those in my area closed a few years ago.
    Old 07-07-2011, 12:58 PM

I live in Kingwood TX. The Hancocks in Humble closed a few years ago, now I have to drive about 20 miles to get to one, but I've found they have much more in the way of sewing notions, etc. They have specialty sewing feet that JoAnn does not. It's a treat and well worth the drive, especially during March when the wildflowers are in bloom - what a beautiful drive that is!
    Old 07-07-2011, 01:34 PM
    Power Poster

Plastic beads, charms, fun foam, wood shapes, tin jewelry making supplies, etc. The Hobby Lobby manager told me it was so cheap to stock the store with those craft items that any sale of them is almost all profit. I guess that is why there is so much of it being sold in fabric stores now.
    Old 07-07-2011, 01:36 PM

I guess they will loose a lot of business and people will just start buying online....because I don't do a lot of crafts I have no interest in going into a store that don't carry what I need or want....
    Old 07-07-2011, 02:03 PM

I was thinking the same thing. A few months ago I went to a Hancock's after not going to one for such a long time. I remember it being mostly fabrics, notions, and knitting supplies. Now they got a slew of other crafty stuff.