Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Has anyone here bought a refurbished machine from Overstock? >
  • Has anyone here bought a refurbished machine from Overstock?

• Has anyone here bought a refurbished machine from Overstock?

Old 07-07-2011, 05:55 PM

I don't need fancy, I don't need a bazillion stitches I will never use. I sew and make quilts for relaxation.

I'm looking at this refurbished machine on Overstock. $2.95 shipping, no tax, no gas wasted driving around. The reviews are good.

I've never bought refurbished before. Any opinions or experiences?

http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewi...tml?rcmndsrc=2
    Old 07-07-2011, 05:58 PM

FYI.......Was @ Walmart and they have marked theirs down to $109.00...... Might want to ck with them first????
    Old 07-07-2011, 06:00 PM
    Google Goddess

no, I would check at Walmart for sewing machine or Sears, so you can just pick it up

also ask at the Sewing Machine stores for used ones, ebay, craigslist, friends, family and neighbors

as you never know who has one that just want to give away
    Old 07-07-2011, 06:04 PM

I bought a Brother ce4000 about 2 years ago. Love it. No problems. looked brand new when I got it. I think they offer a service agreement too. If Walmart marked them down I would check them out. I think they carried the Brother line.
    Old 07-07-2011, 06:07 PM

yes I have 5 years ago I brought a brother xl3500i it is still going strong. They are also good about exchanges they gave me one that didn't work they picked it up real quick and shipped out another one fast, great customer service so you shouldn't have problems
    Old 07-07-2011, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
    yes I have 5 years ago I brought a brother xl3500i it is still going strong. They are also good about exchanges they gave me one that didn't work they picked it up real quick and shipped out another one fast, great customer service so you shouldn't have problems
    You got yours from Overstock? When you told them it didn't work, did they sent out FedEx/UPS to pick it up and replace it at no charge to you?

And if so, did you have to buy the extra service policy to get that service?

Thanks for your response.
    Old 07-07-2011, 06:20 PM

Yes - I bought a Brother SE about 4 years ago and use it many hours most days. Love it!
    Old 07-07-2011, 06:23 PM

I would check at WalMart first. It sounds like this machine has more doodads than the WalMart machine. Refurbished can be a good buy though and they usually give you some kind of warrenty. Check with your LQS sometimes they have trade-in's at a really good price.
    Sue
    Old 07-07-2011, 06:27 PM

Refurbished can mean anything when it comes to machines. If someone opens a box and changes their mind, the machine cannot be sold as new. Most places that resell these machines have a qualified machine repair person go through the machine to make sure it does work. Sometimes during shipment, a computer/electronic board can be damaged which explains by dolphingyrl's machine didn't work. Overstock can be a great resource to tap into for what you are looking for.
    Old 07-07-2011, 06:32 PM

I have purchased other electronics from Overstock and I have never had a bad experience with them. Their customer service/support was great when I did have an issue. I had purchased the replacement plan for I believe 2 yrs and they told me to keep and/or dispose of the item that was giving me issues and they sent out a new item (and it was a newer model with more features) for no cost to me.

The machine you are interested in has a replacement plan for 19.99, for 2 yrs - worth the investment since it is refurbished. It should be hassle free for 2 yrs at a minimum. Good luck with whichever machine you choose...