Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Have You Ever Heard Of This? >
  • Have You Ever Heard Of This?

• Have You Ever Heard Of This?

Old 07-12-2010, 01:21 PM

OMG this sounds the best idea I have heard in a long time. All of my fabric is in totes by color or fabric type or adult/child/baby but how cool would it be to have the totes numbered and a digital image of all the fabrics in it on my computer to go thru before moving them all. This could very well be my next project and then maybe I would actually use fabric I already have instead of buying more because I don't want to go thru the totes.
    Old 07-12-2010, 03:27 PM

I take pictures of my fabrics either when I buy them or while they are in the bin. And, believe me, I have a enormous stash! Here are some examples of the pictures, nothing fancy. Then, if I don't know whether I already have some of a certain color/design, I can look in my iphone at my photos. There is also an app to organize fabrics by color or designer on the iphone which I am starting to use more.

quote=susiequilt]Maybe saving a piece of each for a charm quilt.[/quote]

These are some misc blue/aqua pieces
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]77905[/ATTACH]

These are all kept together for a future project. Ideas??
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]77906[/ATTACH]

These are from the TiddlyWinks collection
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]77907[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-77900.jpe   attachment-77901.jpe   attachment-77902.jpe  
    Old 07-12-2010, 03:38 PM

I just started quilting and I have a huge stash but am not organized enough yet. I keep like colors in totes.
    Old 07-12-2010, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    i have a digital database of all my fabric.

i take the pic, list the name, color, and where its located in my stash.
    Wow, it would be nice to be that organized!
    Old 07-12-2010, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by DianD
    I use a small business card album to organize current project samples...it's only 8" x4", and isn't very thick, so it slides easily into my bag. It holds almost 40 swatches in clear plastic pockets. I have also discovered baseball card collector's pages. They fit into a 3-ring binder, and usually, I allot a "page" per project. I have a few pages, (same size) that are used to hold photo slides...the pockets are a bit smaller, but are the perfect size for snipets of solid colors!
    That a great method to stay organized!
    Old 07-12-2010, 04:53 PM

I had a lady stop at a yard sale I was having and asked if I had any fabric. I asked her what she was looking for, and she said she was making a charm quilt. I took her inside to my sewing room and we cut pieces from my stash and filled up a bag. Then she asked me what I was working on, and I showed her. Later, she showed up with just what I was looking for in my collection. We still exchange Christmas cards.
    Old 07-12-2010, 06:43 PM

I just got an order from Thousands of Bolts. On each fabric, they have a sticky label that names the fabric, the amount, etc. I thought that was such a good idea that I took some computer printer labels, stuck them in an envelope and put them in my glove box in my car.

**IF** I remember it's there, I want to take the labels into a fabric store when I go shopping. I can copy the name of fabric, designer, amount and any special fabric instructions, then just stick it on the cut fabric.

I've also started sticking a label on fabric in my drawers if I am thinking of using it in a quilt. I have all my closet space taken up with boxes with unmade quilts in them. They have the pattern and fabric. But now, I have projects in mind and have some fabric from my stash I will probably use. I decided if I just stuck that reminder on the fabric, I'd be aware of it other uses. That way I can always cut some of it for a current project, but leave enough for the future one.
    Old 07-12-2010, 06:53 PM

Hmmm, I am sitting here thinking what swatches would be good for in a binder once the quilt is made? I can see cutting pieces for matching up or filing with a pattern to be made later and marking the fabrics you intend to use for it.

Reading also of the other reasons to note what fabrics one has, to keep a record of colors, yardage or fat qtrs etc. Not a bad idea. To be so organized!!

Oh, so many good ideas for organizing for upcoming projects!

All I have done is, take pictures of all the things I have made to date. Most of which I have given away. I enjoy having a picture diary of things made.
    Old 07-12-2010, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by bstanbro
    I'm always trying things like this. They seem like a good idea at the time, but keeping them up-to-date is a challenge. I like the idea of BEING organized more than I like organizing.
    Me too! :roll:
    Old 07-12-2010, 07:18 PM

I keep small pieces of fabric in my wallet :oops: it can be embarrassing when they get mixed in with my dollars :roll:
    but I can ALWAYS make a perfect match!!!