Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help choosing a sewing machine for quilting...newbie >
  • Help choosing a sewing machine for quilting...newbie

• Help choosing a sewing machine for quilting...newbie

Old 11-18-2008, 01:50 PM

I am much more interested in hearing what each of you advise for a good machine that isn't too expensive since I've been thinking maybe I need one. My old Remington, about 1964, has done wonders, and I have a Singer that is ok, but I've seen the Janome and admired it, so it's very helpful to hear what you all are saying.
    Old 11-18-2008, 01:51 PM

I paid less than $200 for each of my Singer machines. The best feature though is the drop in bobbin that you can see without removing any part of the machine! I wouldn't get a machine without it. The newest one I got even has many different stitches to use. Just remember, regardless of what machine you get, write down the first tension settings in your guide/user book and if you have any trouble, reset the machine to the way it came and start again. Be sure to use the correct bobbins and read the manual anytime you do anything to the machine. Keep it clean, not by blowing into the machine, but with a new clean paintbrush that can fit into the bobbin case and clean out the mini dust bunnies.
    Treat your machine with respect and love it! You don't NEED fancy settings but ALWAYS get the drop in bobbin so you know if you have enough bobbin thread to complete a task.
    Old 11-18-2008, 01:53 PM

I have several machines from the top of the line to Featherweights. I sold sewing machines for a few years and the machine I like the best for Quilting and Machine Quilting the top is the BERNINA 440 with the stitch regulator. It is pricey but you get what you pay for. And I wasn't selling Bernina but I think that the Bernina Machines are the best made.
    Old 11-18-2008, 02:02 PM
    jem

Hi, I have had a Kenmore for many years. It is reliable, easy to learn and has many nice features.
    Being I have been quilting since '83, I purchased a Bernina a year ago. Of course I really love it but it is out of the price range you are working with. So I would suggest the top of the line with Kenmore.
    Elaine
    Old 11-18-2008, 02:09 PM
    Power Poster

I have a Brother, a Singer, and a White. The Brother is a low end one sold at Wal Mart and I love it. It sews like a dream and never gives me any trouble. My son uses the Singer for his sewing. It's a nice machine, but I like my Brother better. The White is a Jean Machine. It works great on heavy fabric. That's about all I use it for. I have a Juki for quilting. I absolutely love this machine. It runs like a dream and has made it much easier for me to do my own quilting. Now, if I ever find the room in my house, I want a Gracie frame.
    Old 11-18-2008, 02:11 PM

I HAVE PURCHASED 5 MACHINES OVER A 6 YEAR PERIOD AS GIFTS ETC.,FROM THESE FOLKS AND THEY ARE VERY DEPENDABLE. THEY HAVE THE JANOME MAGNOLIA FOR $349
    THE "sTART/STOP" FEATURE IS GREAT!
    fREE SHIPPING AND YOU RECEIVE IT IN 2-3 DAYS.
    YOU PAY NO SALES TAX!
    yOU CAN GO TO A LOCAL DEALER AND TELL THEM THAT YOU CAN GET THIS MACHINE FOR THIS PRICE AND NO SALES TAX AND SEE IF THEY WILL MATCH IT IF YOU PREFER, BUT ALLBRANDS IS A REPUTABLE COMPANY.
    I DON'T WORK FOR THIS COMPANY: ALLBRANDS.COM
    Janome 7330 Magnolia 30 Stitch Computer Sewing Machine, 6 Buttonholes, START/STOP, Memory Needle Up Down, Speed Control, Threader - 20/5Yr Ext. Wnty

Magnolia 7330 is the only Janome computer on the internet with Start/Stop button without foot pedal(also incl).
    Price:
    $349.00

Old 11-18-2008, 02:21 PM

I forgot to tell you that my preference has always been Janome/New Home/Elna....all made by the same company at one time or another.

Good quality. They are good computer machines at a reasonable price.

For your price range the Magnolia Janome is a good choice.

I just bought a Janome 6600 for $1100. It is built for quilting.
    I love it.

Shop and try them out....then look at the site I told you about and then negotiate with your store....if not order online....Good luck on your quest.
    Diana
    Old 11-18-2008, 02:22 PM

http://catalog.ebay.com/Simplicity-A...328358QQ_tabZ2
    This is what my Hubby bought me 6 years ago to starting my new start in quilting. I loved it as we at the time were on a budget and two years ago i got my Janome 6600p. I still use both and never had a problem.
    Dawn
    Old 11-18-2008, 02:38 PM

I'm afraid that in your price range of $200-$300 would not buy you a good quilting machine with a 10 inch bed. If your wife wants a good quilting machine please take a look at the Sapphire 870 that has quilting and decorative stitches, plus a 10 inch bed with an automatic cutter for the bobbin thread - which is great - because you might accidentally cut the quilt on the backing. It also has a start /stop switch. I have a Sapphire 850 which I intend to upgrade to the 870 and also have a Designer 1 USB machine (Both are made by Viking). I used to own Singer but the Singer workmanship on the machines in the last 10 years has gone down hill
    Old 11-18-2008, 02:43 PM

I have 2 Husqvarna---viking machine's..Freesia 415,--& Viva.. For me I like them..I will alternate them when sewing.. There is only 16 different stitches, but dont reakky do any fancy sewing.. The only sewing I do is when I'm making a quilt, or shorting my blue jean... Don-isewman1