Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help with thread breaking when straight line quilting with channel locks >
  • Help with thread breaking when straight line quilting with channel locks

• Help with thread breaking when straight line quilting with channel locks

Old 02-01-2018, 06:32 PM

Default Help with thread breaking when straight line quilting with channel locks

I’m using a Handi Quilter Avante and when I use the channel locks to do straight lines edge to edge the thread usually breaks when I try to made the reverse pass. My consultant told me this often happens but I’d like to know other’s experience. Is there any way to prevent this? It seems like the machine should easily handle this and it would sure be easier than cutting threads and rolling the head back to left each time. Any suggestions for me?
    thanks!
    Marion
    Old 02-01-2018, 06:59 PM

Try a sample blocks until you have worked out all the kinks. Perhaps you are going too fast when you go right to left.
    There are so many variables to think about.
    Old 02-01-2018, 07:32 PM

It has to do with the physics of a rotary hook. If the hook is spinning clockwise, the thread meets the needle in a different place when the machine goes left to right, than if the machine is moving right to left. The thing that helps is to rotate the needle slightly to the right. But... it still works much better going from left to right, especially when you're stitching a straight line.

Now if they could only make the hook spin the opposite direction when the machine moves right to left. Or... build an oscillating hook that can go that fast.
    Old 02-02-2018, 04:54 AM

I have the same machine, and the same problem. But also on another machine, so I don't think it's unique to Handiquilter. What sometimes works for me is to go up a needle size. Also turning your needle slightly (either to 5:30 or 6:30, rather than straight on) will sometimes help. It is mechanics - but really frustrating I agree.
    Old 02-02-2018, 05:35 AM
    Power Poster

When I got my Avante the instructor said that the machine is happier going L to R. Not that you couldn't go in the other direction, but as mentioned above the mechanics of the machine dictate this preference. Having said this, I really haven't had any issues going in the opposite direction, but I am a really slow stitcher.
    Old 02-02-2018, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Mch2212
    I’m using a Handi Quilter Avante and when I use the channel locks to do straight lines edge to edge the thread usually breaks when I try to made the reverse pass. My consultant told me this often happens but I’d like to know other’s experience. Is there any way to prevent this? It seems like the machine should easily handle this and it would sure be easier than cutting threads and rolling the head back to left each time. Any suggestions for me?
    thanks!
    Marion
    When I got my longarm I was told the machine "didn't like going backwards" so I just don't do reverse passes. Small distances while quilting a pattern don't have a problem.