Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Channel locks >

Channel locks

Channel locks

Old 02-21-2015, 03:00 PM

Default Channel locks

What are channel locks. Can I add them as my short-arm set-up does not have them. Just read where they arte useful for cross hatching. I'd like to cross hatch, how do I avoid pinning if I stitch in the ditch. Can I use my short-arm to stitch in the ditch.

Last edited by true4uca; 02-21-2015 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:44 PM
Power Poster

Channel locks are mechanical or computer settings that basically immobilize one set of wheels on your carriage. When applied, you can only roll the carriage up and down -or- left and right. You may be able to use small clamps from the hardware store. Take a look at your carriage & see if there's a place you can put them.
In theory, you could use them to SITD, but your quilt needs to be loaded perfectly straight on the frame and the seam needs to be sewn perfectly straight.
Don't understand your comment about pinning. If you are using a short or mid arm on a frame, you would only pin to attach the sandwich to the frame.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:12 PM

Sorry for rambling. I meant to say I want to avoid pinning as I would need to do if I did stich in the ditch on my regular machine. The whole reason for buying my short arm was to avoid pinning. It seems I perfer SITD for a lot of my quilts. Right now I'm working on a queen size Irish Chain and again straight line quilting seems to look best.Any ideas for quilting this. Sure have a mental block ( big time ) against pinning my sandwich.
Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Channel locks are mechanical or computer settings that basically immobilize one set of wheels on your carriage. When applied, you can only roll the carriage up and down -or- left and right. You may be able to use small clamps from the hardware store. Take a look at your carriage & see if there's a place you can put them.
In theory, you could use them to SITD, but your quilt needs to be loaded perfectly straight on the frame and the seam needs to be sewn perfectly straight.
Don't understand your comment about pinning. If you are using a short or mid arm on a frame, you would only pin to attach the sandwich to the frame.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Yes, for me SITD on the longarm is a challenge. On a perfectly placed, perfectly stitched, perfectly ironed top, channel locks could work, but the truth is you have to keep making tiny adjustments. SITD is supposed to be on the low side of the seam and often it switches sides, blocks aren't exactly square etc. I go really slow and use a quilting ruler designed for long arm use. I needed a special ruler foot and extension table to use it safely. Don't know if you could use it with a domestic. This is one task that was easier on my domestic! The two suggestions I've heard are to stitch 1/4 on either side of the seam. It's less obvious if you waver. Another option is to do a wavy line that crosses back and forth over the seam.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:31 AM

Channel locks are like large vice grips or pliers; google them and you can see pictures of them.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by true4uca View Post
What are channel locks. Can I add them as my short-arm set-up does not have them. Just read where they arte useful for cross hatching. I'd like to cross hatch, how do I avoid pinning if I stitch in the ditch. Can I use my short-arm to stitch in the ditch.
Until I read the replies to this post,I thought channel locks were a type of pliers. You can move the jaws to fit whatever you need to lock onto, unlike regular pliers. I have channel locks in several sizes, including the very small one that I keep in my sewing machine tool drawer. Google them for pictures, or better yet, go to the hand tool department at Wal Mart or at Lowe's or Home Depot to see them in the "flesh." froggyintexas
Old 02-25-2015, 10:51 AM

Channel locks won't work for SID unless you have perfectly straight seams (and if you do, tell me your secret!) and your quilt is perfectly squared on the frame. Many people without built-in channel locks use binder clips like these to lock their machine. Just make sure you get clips large enough to span the width of the panel your machine sits on, and put one in front of the wheel and one behind.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]511556[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 02-25-2015, 11:03 AM

Here's a video of Renae Haddadin using a clamp she got at Home Depot on her wheels. You can see it at the 1:45 mark.
http://youtu.be/Q3b3E6RlLyM
Old 02-26-2015, 10:41 AM

Cindi, Thank you for this link. This what I needed to know, my searches got me nothing. Just learning this new computer so hope this posts, have not been able to post on it yet.
Originally Posted by cindi View Post
Here's a video of Renae Haddadin using a clamp she got at Home Depot on her wheels. You can see it at the 1:45 mark.
http://youtu.be/Q3b3E6RlLyM