Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • how to make horizontal thread holder? >
  • how to make horizontal thread holder?

• how to make horizontal thread holder?

Old 06-21-2014, 12:21 PM

I use cone thread on my inexpensive Brother, and my Singer. One I have a cone stand on similar to that shown, the other I devised my own using a coffee cup, and threading thru the loops of one of those fancy paper clamps (the ones that pinch like a closepin?) and the clamp is clipped onto my open wire shelving... (clear as mud?)
    Old 06-21-2014, 12:52 PM
    yel

slightly off you could just put a few more pegs in and take the thread off the spool from your pegboard....i put a metal corner a on the book case next to my machine works good ....and tartan good idea ....quilters sure are inventive
    Old 06-21-2014, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by yel
    slightly off you could just put a few more pegs in and take the thread off the spool from your pegboard....i put a metal corner a on the book case next to my machine works good ....and tartan good idea ....quilters sure are inventive
    I actually tried that once ! But I have VERY curious cats ! They have no interest in my thread as long as it is just sitting there quietly on the peg board, but let them see it moving into my machine and they go crazy !
    Old 06-22-2014, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by SlightlyOffQuilter
    I have a PQ1500 as well and this is the set up that I use depending on the type of wind on the thread.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]479944[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]479945[/ATTACH]
    Slightlyoffquilter- that is the way that I thread my machine when using cone thread. But I stll have a problem with the needle coming untreaded after using the cutter like the thread springs back. My service tech said that the cutter is NOT cutting too short and does not need adjustment. do you have this problem of the needle coming unthreaded. I think it is because there is too much tension on the thread due to the cone being on verticle pin instead of on a horizontal pin.

I think I wiill buy one of the Superior thread holders. This having to always rethread the needle is driving me crazy!!!!!
    Old 06-22-2014, 05:53 AM

I have found that if I LIFT my pressure foot BEFORE cutting it usually stays threaded. If I cut with the foot down it almost always comes undone.
    Old 06-22-2014, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by SlightlyOffQuilter
    I have found that if I LIFT my pressure foot BEFORE cutting it usually stays threaded. If I cut with the foot down it almost always comes undone.
    Thanks for the hint. I will try that!
    Old 06-22-2014, 08:56 AM

You can put your thread in a coffee cup behind your machine. To make your own holder, buy a wooden paper towel holder. Put a spindle on the bottom stand and an round eye ring at the top and there you have it. The good thing is that with this you can put several cone holders on it or regular thread too. I don't have that problem with my machine, it takes it no matter what.

To the person saying there is high quality serger thread. You are so right, it has to be strong to go that fast thru the loopers, needles etc. Just because you can save money doesn't mean its always cheaply made.
    Old 06-22-2014, 02:40 PM

OK, I know there's all this talk about horizontal spool pins working better with cross wound thread. But you've got to try something very basic, and figure this out with your own intelligence. Put any spool of thread on the horizontal spool pin, and thread the machine. Put the spool cap on the end of the spool pin. Then pull the thread. How freely does it feed? Then put the same spool on the vertical spool pin, thread it up, and pull the thread. 90% of the time, as I'm servicing machines, I find the vertical spool pin just feeds so much nicer. I'm to the point, that if the machine doesn't have a vertical spool pin, I don't waste my time with the horizontal spool pin, I just set up the freee-standing vertical spool pin, and sew the machine off with that. Try the simple experiment, and use your own intelligence.
    Old 06-23-2014, 04:11 AM

A wide mouth pint jar works for me. I also have a thread stand that works as well. I like to use an old empty cne inside the new one in the jar so that when the thread comes off the bottom of the cone it doesn't bind against the bottom of the jar. Feeds as well as from the commercial holder.
    Old 06-23-2014, 05:38 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster
    I use a thread holder like this one - http://www.connectingthreads.com/Too...FYpefgodSKIAuQ

Many good threads come on cones, and not all serger thread is weak, but some serger threads are weak and those are the ones that may cause problems if used for quilting or piecing.
    This is the one I use also...Works great..