Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How old is your oldest UFO? >
  • How old is your oldest UFO?

• How old is your oldest UFO?

Old 12-24-2010, 05:51 AM

17 years old. Sampler top from a class I took. It just needs another border on it and then to get quilted. Maybe getting it finished will be my New Years resolution!
    Old 12-24-2010, 06:04 AM

Only about four yrs. old. I haven't been quilting very long.
    Old 12-24-2010, 06:18 AM

My oldest UFO was finished about 10 years ago...and not by me! In the early 70's I bought a embroidery kit for a king size quilt. I finished about 5 of the sections and put it in a plastic box along with thread, pattern, and top. 10 years ago a very good friend was getting ready to take an extended RV trip and asked me to look for any unfinished projects at a garage sale for her to work on while they were gone. I immediately went to the way back of my closet and brought her the "box". She laughed and said this would be the second one she had done. The color scheme was different but the pattern was the same. Her sister had started the same pattern with the same result.."box". My friends had gone home to Oklahoma to help take care of her aunt who was in the hospital and had asked her mother for a project...from the closet came her sister's box. She finished the top in the 16 days she stayed with her aunt. 25 years later she took my box and left. 6 weeks later they returned from their trip and she brought me my finished quilt including it being hand quilted (with praire points) by her 90 year old mother in 13 days. It is my prized possession and resides in our guest bedroom free of grandchildren and dogs. I never expected it to come back much less completed. My friend can no longer due hand work, but her gift to me is most precious.
    Old 12-24-2010, 06:23 AM

A wool 9-patch quilt started by GGma--I just finished sewing all the blocks, now to put them together---
    oldest UFOs of my own---a painted quilt from when I was ten!Just put sashing on to give it to my grand-daughter after it is tied....next oldest is from 1970s----embroidered quilt(cross stitch roses) I FINALLY found sashing for! Next oldest is from 1984! But I am determined to finish them this winter....
    Old 12-24-2010, 06:25 AM

I would have to say my oldest UFO would be about 150 years old. It was passed down thru the family and was passed to me by my Grandmother. I plan on finishing it one day but need to be in the right mind frame to finish it. It's an old rail fence that is in mint condition.Every now and then I pull it out and plan how I'm going to finish it.
    Old 12-24-2010, 06:26 AM

8 years. The top is now down after working on it during the summer, just needs to be quilted. It's for my oldest boy.
    Old 12-24-2010, 06:32 AM

Can't you get those pencil marks out with an eraser? I think I've seen them in quilting stores. I think the amish use pencil marks.
    Old 12-24-2010, 06:35 AM

my oldest is 22 since I started quilting seriously not just once in a while
    Old 12-24-2010, 07:08 AM

I remember the Y2K swaps. And I also remember there is a big box of charms to put together into a quilt. Guess that is my oldest UFO. Not sure I want to do a Y2K quilt now though so think I'll mix the charms in with my other excess squares and make a scrap quilt.
    Old 12-24-2010, 07:17 AM

Mine is probably 10+ years. It is a log cabin already cut and just waiting to be sewen. Problem is I have to iron all the strips. I hate ironing but this project is on my list to do this coming you.