Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is your oldest UFO? Mine 2004-2006

Power Poster

What is your oldest UFO? Mine 2004-2006

Decided this was the year to finish my UFO's and have a month and half to spare lol. Thought I only had two but found the blocks for the table runner from 2004 in my fabric closet. My BFF from IL, her daughter in law and I exchanged 2 blocks. This will be on my table in spring with the bright colors. Then in 2005 our guild had a challenge if you wanted to purchase this winter scene fabric and make a 12 1/2" block and I was lucky to receive 11blocks, think two other gals won also. The one block was on point and wasn't sure what to do. So this year I made a nine patch on point so problem solved. Still very much an amateur quilter so quilted it with wonky stars and some even look like stars. Others I lost my momentum and not sure what happened. Had gone to a quilt show and fell in love with the barn quilt, not sure why as I am a city girl. Our group had a weekend retreat and got 5 blocks done and the 6th one kinda started. It is suppose to have 9blocks but six is good with big borders. It will be a nice throw for a soldier/vet. Did a meander quilting. So glad these are done, like a weight lifted.
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 2114
Size:  266.5 KBName:  image.jpeg
Views: 2113
Size:  186.3 KBName:  image.jpeg
Views: 2115
Size:  355.6 KB

my favorite is the barn quilt but I like them all, too!

Power Poster
    Well done and it feels so good to clear up U.F.O.'s . I think Bonnie Hunter has you beat as she posted pictures on her Quiltville site of her Hexagon quilt that she is finally going to hand quilt from 1999!

I like them all.

I like your colorful stars - congratulations on getting your UFOs done. Now if only I would finish the basket quilt that I started back in the 70's.

From 2017, a stack of lap robes and a Christmas tree skirt.
    Maybe 2018.
    Mike

Good job!!

I think I have one from 2007, plus a few that have been abandoned.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

great job , all look fantastic
    Pegg

Have a great day and happy sewing !

You may be surprised to hear that my oldest quilting UFO is somewhere around 56 years old. lol I was a child, and my mother had bought me a little child-sized electric straight stitch sewing machine. My grandmother cut squares of fabric from her stash (with a scissors), and I traced the square on her odd shaped little scraps using a lead pencil and a cereal box cardboard template. I was learning to quilt with these two great seamstresses/quilters. While Grandma and I were cutting and tracing, my mother went alone to the fabric store to get a plain colored fabric to use with the prints. She brought back a light brown, muddy, tannish, flesh colored fabric that I thought was the ugliest color that could have been available to buy. I sewed 9-patches with 4 prints and 5 pukey brown pieces. But I lost interest in the blocks because of the plain colored fabric. If my mother had brought us light blue, or pink, or pale yellow, or any other color I might have finished the project! Well, I haven't thrown it away or lost it. It's been in a box, coming with me from home to home all these years, so I might finish it yet.

My oldest UFO is older than me!

My great-grandfather used to make quilt tops (hundreds!) that he would send to the "church ladies" and they would quilt them to donate. Someone thought to set some aside for each of his great-grandchildren before he passed away (and before they all disappeared) and I'm very thankful they did. He likely pieced it in the 50s or 60s, and I hope to hand quilt it this year. I've only been quilting for just over a year, but this top has always been the reason I wanted to learn.

My grampa also used to make quilt blocks and tops, and I really wish I had one from him, as he was the grandparent I was always closest to.

As for one that is "all mine", I have one top ready to quilt that I made a few months ago, one top for my parent's (almost king size) that I pieced this summer, and one hand quilting project on my lap frame I've been working on for several months. I don't know if they count until they are a year old :P
    Last edited by Sleepy Hollow; 11-10-2017 at 06:54 PM.
    If your dreams don't scare you, they aren't big enough!

That would be...1969, I think. I had a Trip Around The World that my grandmother made, and I wanted to make one for myself. I was 13, Granny lived 3000 miles away, and I had no one to teach me. But hey, how hard could it be? So I cut out some squares from scrap fabric and started in what seemed to me to be the logical place -- the center! I think I got about 4 rounds done and then realized that clearly, I had no idea what I was doing. It was lumpy and crooked and the stitches showed. (Because I used overcast, not running stitches!) The blasted thing has followed me around ever since, as a reminder to look for help when I'm clearly out of my league.

Well done! my aim for this year was to finish UFO's but sadly I didn't get many done, so they are still on the list for the New Year.
    "A Man who never made a mistake, never made anything"........author unknown but a favourite quote of my late FIL.

I can't bear to admit the truth. Several projects not finished and some are many years old. They are like an albatross and I plan to dispose of them in one way or another by years end. This may be finish them, give them away, donate them or make scraps out of them. I really do want to make some scrappy quilts so this could be a great way to start.

Blog Entries
    Wonderful finishes...I’m sure it feels good to lighten your UFO load.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I have one from 1993. I wasn’t even a quilter yet. I took a class on making a biscuit quilt. I made one for a baby and then started on a large bed size quilt. It’s nearly done and it’s been in a bag since then. Guess I need to finish that!

Clearing the slate for 2018 is a great way to start. Your quilts will be a blessing to others instead of clutter!
    "The great doing of little things makes the great life." Eugena Price

Oh how nice!
    Now, do we HAVE to answer that question?
    Mine are from the 90's- oh my!!!

I started some green embroidery blocks I started 3 years ago and am now putting a quilt together using those blocks. So for me not any real old UFOs but a few projects I want to get started on. Congrats on your finishes.

Congratulations Peg. I can't even count in my head my UFOs, but my oldest is from 1986. It was a hand QAYG that I took at a community college. I have all 12 blocks done and two hand quilted. I love the look of hand quilting but hate doing it, so it got put aside. Everytime I look to take apart the two blocks, I stop, as they really do look nice done. I've thought about finishing the last 10 on the machine however the fabrics and colors are not the best (browns, peaches and golds.............remember when they were popular) so don't know what I would do with it except donate. It has my name cross stitched and the date on one block and my grandma's tatting on another though....................ugh. Counting my UFOs and my PIGS that haven't even been started but are in project bags with all the material and patterns together, and I will have to live three life times! Anyone else in my boat?????

Mine is the quilt in my avatar, started around 1986 finished in 2013. Yikes!

Blog Entries
    I have several quilt tops in various stages of completion...from pieces cut out but not yet sewn, to one block completed, to all blocks completed but not sewn together, to completed quilt tops ready to layer and quilt. Most were started in the 80's.

Actually my oldest UFO is about 70 years old. My mother handpieced a wedding ring quilt top when she was a teenager and gave it to me about 30 years ago to
    quilt and bind. I was just learning to quilt and did a poor job of binding and tying the quilt so I've started to take off the binding to redo.
    Last edited by janjanq; 11-11-2017 at 06:31 AM.

Congratulations! I need to get going!

Blog Entries
    My oldest UFO top was started and completed in the early 1970's. This one may not ever be quilted.
    “Be well, do good work, and keep in touch."
    Garrison Keillor

Mine is 2009 for which I am ashamed. I do not like to start something and not finish however like you Grandmapeg I had also decided that this is the year to finish it off. So far I have gotten 11 blocks to nearly completion stage - I am doing QAYG - with each rosette taking 3 hours of machine sewing to get it sewn onto the background fabric. Here is one below.

Name:  SANY0002 - Copy.JPG
Views: 1061
Size:  902.4 KB

I have since that photo was taken done some outline quilting around each hexie, some straightline quilting across each corner and trimmed them ready to join.
    Last edited by busy fingers; 11-11-2017 at 12:11 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast