Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • HQ Sweet Sixteen and Pfaff Powerquilter 16 users >
  • HQ Sweet Sixteen and Pfaff Powerquilter 16 users

• HQ Sweet Sixteen and Pfaff Powerquilter 16 users

Old 08-09-2014, 05:11 AM

Default HQ Sweet Sixteen and Pfaff Powerquilter 16 users

Hi Guys,

I will be the proud owner of a Pfaff Powerquilter 16 as of Monday week (I can't wait).

As the two are basically the same machine, built by the same people, I would really appreciate any advice on using the machine that you Pfaff and HQ users out there have...... ! Things like, do I have to use the same thread in the bobbin at the top or is there a special bobbin thread, speed settings any little quirks that you have found... etc.

I have spent all morning watching videos, but I find advice from users is worth its weight in gold!

I am so looking forward to getting this machine and any advice that I can use would be really appreciated!

Hugs

Caroline
    Old 08-09-2014, 07:15 AM

There is a yahoo group for HQ Sweet Sixteen (and comparable models) owners, called HQ 16 Handi-Quilter Sit Down Table Model Group. I think googling 'yahoo groups' will get you a link to a main page where you can insert specifics.
    Old 08-09-2014, 07:27 AM

I have been looking at these machines too and also you might want to check out these links

http://www.jennoop.com/quilt-suspenders.html and
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/dreaded-drag-when-free-motion-quilting-t250048.html. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...r-t250293.html Some great ideas. That last frame would also be good for DSMs.

Last edited by Suzanne57; 08-09-2014 at 07:32 AM.
    Old 08-09-2014, 01:24 PM

thanks guys
    Old 08-09-2014, 01:38 PM

Are u getting it new? I'm at the nec quilt show this weekend and have been looking at the long arm (I have Janome 1600pqc on a frame soooo frustrating having to do 5" or less) they start the long arms at £8.500. (Those that go on a frame)
    Old 08-09-2014, 02:17 PM

Hi Stella,

I bought it at the NEC yesterday. I bought the Pfaff Powerquilter 16.0. I went to The Cotton Patch stand tried both the Sweet 16 and the Pfaff. The Pfaff seemed to have a smoother stitch to me..... but I think it was just my preference. The cotton patch are selling off the models that are being used for the classes at the NEC at the end of the festival, I think that they are offering a £350 discount, but DH said that he preferred that I get a new one.

Anyway, the cotton patch are offering a package of "over £100 of accessories" on the Sweet 16 but not the Pfaff. They are also quoting 3 - 4 weeks for delivery...... I didn't want to wait so I went to the Pfaff stand and told them what Cotton Patch were offering and said I would buy the Pfaff if they did me a deal.... so they did.... they offered me £100.00 of accessories of my choice and they are delivering in a week. So I bought it.

I think that you could put this machine on a frame.... I have a Gracie II and I will try her on the frame.... I'm sure it will work fine which would turn your frame into a longarm (well almost) I think you would definitely be able to do 10 - 12 inch blocks with this set up.

Anyway, that is my story.... let me know what you decide!

Hugs

Caroline

Originally Posted by stella63
    Are u getting it new? I'm at the nec quilt show this weekend and have been looking at the long arm (I have Janome 1600pqc on a frame soooo frustrating having to do 5" or less) they start the long arms at £8.500. (Those that go on a frame)
    Old 08-09-2014, 02:19 PM

Hi Stella,

I bought it at the NEC yesterday. I bought the Pfaff Powerquilter 16.0. I went to The Cotton Patch stand tried both the Sweet 16 and the Pfaff. The Pfaff seemed to have a smoother stitch to me..... but I think it was just my preference. The cotton patch are selling off the models that are being used for the classes at the NEC at the end of the festival, I think that they are offering a £350 discount, but DH said that he preferred that I get a new one.

Anyway, the cotton patch are offering a package of "over £100 of accessories" on the Sweet 16 but not the Pfaff. They are also quoting 3 - 4 weeks for delivery...... I didn't want to wait so I went to the Pfaff stand and told them what Cotton Patch were offering and said that I would buy the Pfaff if they gave me a deal.... so they did.... they offered me £100.00 of accessories of my choice and they are delivering in a week. So I bought it.

I think that you could put this machine on a frame.... I have a Gracie II and I will try her on the frame.... I'm sure it will work fine which would turn your frame into a longarm (well almost) I think you would definitely be able to do 10 - 12 inch blocks with this set up.

Anyway, that is my story.... let me know what you decide!

Hugs

Caroline

Originally Posted by stella63
    Old 08-10-2014, 12:21 PM

Hi, looking about again today at the nec and have decided to wait to get a long arm and frame until next year at least. I am airing in the side of the k& k 's 26" as its a English firm, made in Norfolk they not too pretty to look at but no import to pay and the company is a family one that pride them selves on service. But a year its a long time so I could Change my mind lol good luck in your adventures with your new machine and post a picture

Regards
    Stella