Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I am horrified!! >
  • I am horrified!!

• I am horrified!!

Old 08-11-2013, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by jeannedog
    When my neighbor visits me, she looks around and asks ---what are you going to do with all this fabric?
    Jeannedog
    Admire it!
    Old 08-11-2013, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jannie
    If you only have 211 pieces, I think you better go shopping!
    LOL, someone after my heart!
    Old 08-11-2013, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by MargeD
    While not horrified, I was amazed at how much fabric I had when we were downsizing from a 3-bedroom home to a 2 bedroom apartment. Because people knew that I quilted, they would pass on their fabrics, plus when my sister passed away, I inherited her "stash". I did manage to give away about half of my stash to a dear friend, who passed on some of the fabrics to another friend who did charity quilts, so I know the fabric won't go to waste. Because of "budget cuts" since we are both on Social Security, I no longer make lots of visit to JoAnn's or order fabric off the internet, but I still have a significant amount of fabric. That said, I did make a quilt for our DGD that was made entirely from my stash, and I will post the picture when I get it quilted, hopefully in the not too distant future when the Dr. says I can use my arm again. I had surgery to repair a pretty bad torn rotator cuff in my right arm (of course), but I'm beginning to do some sewing and hope to be able to start quilting again soon. I plan to send a picture of the finished quilt to QB.
    A lot of my fabric is inherited. Not all is quilting cotton. What I need to do is start an old fashioned crazy quilt to use some fancies.
    Old 08-11-2013, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Rennie
    Probably a dumb question - but since I am just starting to get into doing quilts (very basic beginner) - when you talk about a stash of fabrics - other than fat quarters which I have more than 211 of already - what size do you buy when you purchase. I was thinking a yard - but while working on my first quilt, I see I need bigger pieces in order to get my borders made. I don't want to have to "shop" every time I need border yardage - but obviously fat quarters won't work and I am not sure 1 yard pieces are big enough. Any suggestions? Rene
    Depends on how much I like something. If I love it, I might buy 5 yards. If I like it a lot, 3 yards.
    Old 08-11-2013, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by jeannedog
    When my neighbor visits me, she looks around and asks ---what are you going to do with all this fabric?
    Jeannedog
    When my neighbor visited she looked around my sewing room and said "what is going to happen to all this when you are dead?" LOL
    Old 08-11-2013, 04:10 PM

I'm ROF LMAO no not at you, with you because I just started a project that will take 1000 pieces which I plan on NOT using the same piece twice in the whole quilt. I have plenty of scraps to do it with from all the pieces I've saved from previous projects. The only problem I'm having is finding enough yellow and orange colors. Those are the only two that I don't use that much, but I still have more then 1000 different fabrics to chose from with out going in to my good stuff. LOL

You are doing fine and yes you are now just beginning to fit right in with us fabric hoarders. LOL Enjoy the prestige!!!!
    Old 08-11-2013, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    That's the whole point!!! At least in MY world, and I encourage it in others. For instance, I often sew at night (not yet - still another few weeks after surgery before I can do that!), I sew on the weekends, I sew when the shops are closed and it would really cramp my style if I had to run out for the right thing at those times. For instance, I just recently completed a curved log cabin quilt in graded shades of reds/golds/teal that had at least 50 different fabrics in it -- ALL from my stash. I'd have spent hours and hours if I had had to shop for those fabrics. Yuck!

Looks to me like you are off to a great start in your quilting career!
    Jan, glad to see that you are feeling well enough to join us on the board. Hopefully, you will be back to full speed soon. Take care & rest as much as you need to.
    Old 08-11-2013, 05:16 PM
    Power Poster

You may be a bit on the low side ...Fabric follows me home
    Old 08-11-2013, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by EvieD44
    I didn't know that you should wash all your batiks before using them..........why? Do they run? I love reading what's on this board almost every morning but I don't post. Don't know how things work on it. I know.....I know ....I should read how to do things. But that's like Facebook....I'm on that but don't usually post things either. Just love to look at the pics of my kids and grandchildren and friends of mine. I've been quilting for about 10 years, been retired for 5 years. I don't quilt regularly, only when I'm working on a project. I also have some UFO's. Now concerning my stash....I have it in two large book cases, and some draws and on some shelves.....I seem to be more of a collector than a sewer!!! But when I go in my sewing room I love to just stand there and look at all the beautiful colors!! I love my "stash" I don't know how much I have either.....but I know it's not enough! It will never be enough. And yes I do pick from it and I have made quilts from it without hardly buying any for that project. Nice talking to everyone! I just love, love this site......such wonderful people on it. I sit here every morning with my coffee and enjoy all of you!
    I recently ordered a batik quilt kit online; in the pkg was a note to NOT prewash the batiks before sewing the quilt. Was advised to use a Shout color catcher when washing it when finished. This coming week, I will need to dig into making that quilt for a church raffle and now am baffled as to hand prewash OR not prewash. Comments anyone?
    Old 08-11-2013, 05:49 PM

Oh oh i am in trouble then. Been quilting for a year and just out of curiosity, since you brought it up, i went and did a check and i stopped at 350 pieces of one yard or larger pieces with plenty left to count.lol oh well i am having fun.