Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Marking on fabric >

Marking on fabric

Marking on fabric

Old 06-06-2008, 10:40 PM

What do you use to mark on fabric?

I bought these water soluble markers that are supposed to last about 24 hours on the fabric. Didn't last 5 minutes. :( Not sure the brand, but I bought them at Joann's and they are pink and purple.

I also bought a silver fabric pencil, which works fine. Except, I've used up nearly half the pencil on just one block! Darn thing keeps breaking on me.

So I'm wondering, what can I use to mark the pattern on my blocks? Any suggestion for good markers/pencils?
Old 06-07-2008, 03:42 AM

I use the blue water soluable pen, works great, the pencils always break on me too. And the purple one sometimes last till the next day and sometimes like you said only a few minutes! I have a white pen that I love for darks, they are kinda pricey, I think it was about 6 bucks , when you first make the mark it's invisible but shows up in a few seconds. Sometimes I use pencil but have heard that it doesn't always wash out.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:33 AM
Banned

I use 3 things. A blue washable fabric marker pen. And I also use a white pencil for darks, blue for lights. If you use an eyebrow sharper, you don't get a real fine tip that breaks. I hope this helped :)
Old 06-07-2008, 04:38 AM

I used of all things, the white tip pencil you get for going under your nails, you know the kind I hope looks like a pencil but has a white lead. Donīt know about washing out though, havenīt got to that part yet but I was desperate :D

Elle
Old 06-07-2008, 04:45 AM

I bought a purple one last week at Joanne's it was made by simplicity. It is water soluable and "disappears" in 24-48 hours. I am STILL waiting for the lines to disappear so I can iron my dang square!
Old 06-07-2008, 11:07 AM

Thanks for the tip about the eyebrow sharpener!

Has anyone used the graphite pencil? I saw one at Hobby Lobby today. I got the regular white fabric pencils instead, but am curious about that one.

Also, has anyone used the Fons N Porter white retractable pencil? I bought that too. Trying to find something that works for me.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:40 AM

I have a feeling the markers you got were air soluable, not water. I have no luck with them at all. I use whatever works in a given situation - water soluable, markers, chalk, pencils.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:06 PM

I use the blue water soluble pens. Just be careful not to iron until you have removed the marks or they may become permanent.
Jo
Old 06-07-2008, 10:00 PM

Ive spent way to much on useless markers. So far I like the disappearing ink ones but you have to quilt it the day you mark it or it goes away.
The chalk ones with the little wheel are ok for straight lines.
I also use pounce white and blue. Like the blue best. Use with the stencils that have a mesh instead of cutouts.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
Ive spent way to much on useless markers.

Me too! And still looking for the "perfect" marking tool!!