Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Metallic thread for machine quilting >
  • Metallic thread for machine quilting

• Metallic thread for machine quilting

Old 11-05-2013, 05:37 PM

Arrow Metallic thread for machine quilting

I've finally completed my Circle of Fire quilt top and would like to quilt it with metallic thread against the background of black fabric. I have a long arm machine. Any ideas of which type/brand of metallic thread to use that will withstand the high speed of a long arm machine? All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Old 11-05-2013, 05:54 PM

I'm not a long armer, but I do use metallics sometimes. I haven't used this one, but if I were you I would check it out: http://lindeegembroidery.com/a-new-m...-arm-quilters/
    I like Superior threads, and their sites says they work with long arms: http://www.superiorthreads.com/produ...FSNp7AodbhcAFg
    Old 11-05-2013, 05:54 PM

I bought a big spool of the metallic thread from Superior at the Housyon quilt show two years ago. I have used that thread on more things (it was a variegated). I love it! I hardly ever have it break. You just have to make sure you don't thread the machine (I have a HQ16) with the tightest tension.
    Old 11-05-2013, 06:29 PM

The Superior metallic is great.
    Old 11-05-2013, 06:32 PM

i always use a metallic needle. the eye is bigger and it helps it not break as much
    Old 11-05-2013, 06:36 PM

I am used to using metallics in my embroidery machine and always having issues. I put one of superiors gold metallics in my LA and I swear to goodness, I had less trouble with the metallic than I do with any other thread, It spooled out like butter and my machine sang. No tension issues or anything. I didnt have to adjust any tensions or needles either. I did put one of the nets on the spool but other than that, everything was perfect. (I have an Innova)

It is expensive but definitely worth it when working with metallics,
    Old 11-05-2013, 06:53 PM
    Power Poster

I have a Tin Lizzie and use Superior metallic. I don't know if they make a metallic needle for long arms, I just used a #18 and had no problems. I used a 40 wt cotton in the bobbin. You might want to experiment with bobbin threads to see what your machine would like paired with the metallic.
    Old 11-06-2013, 09:05 AM
    Power Poster

I don't know about long arms but when I have metallic breakage on my Bernina even when using a metallic needle, I put just a few thin lines of a lubricant called All Purpose SEWER AID onto the thread spool. I bought this at JAF in the general notion section. Works Great !!
    Old 11-06-2013, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
    I don't know about long arms but when I have metallic breakage on my Bernina even when using a metallic needle, I put just a few thin lines of a lubricant called All Purpose SEWER AID onto the thread spool. I bought this at JAF in the general notion section. Works Great !!
    I read somewhere (I think on this board) to put the thread in a glass. I was always having breakage problems. Even when using a metallic needle. I started putting the thread in the glass, and voila!! I have done two table toppers now with only one issue and that was my fault, because I got the topper tangled in the thread. It sure has saved me a bunch of time and trouble.