Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Mirrors >
  • Mirrors

• Mirrors

Old 12-27-2020, 10:02 AM

Default Mirrors

This may be a wild out of the box idea, let me know what you think please. My Janome 1600P is back from the repair shop and I'm quilting on a small Grace SRII frame again. The constant going to the backside with a hand mirror is tedious after each row to check tensions, skips, folds etc.. What if I bought two of the 13 x 49 inch door/wall mirrors from Walmart or Target and laid them to the backside of the frame under the track end to end or where a pantograph would go if I used them? I have plenty of room there so the machine would not interfere if I took them out of the frame they come in. Or should I just continue with my hand mirror? Has anyone else though of this??
    Old 12-27-2020, 10:41 AM

Would the mirrors be at good angle to see your quilting? Would the mirrors fall off if any vibration? If you answer those ?, you have a very good idea.
    Old 12-27-2020, 10:46 AM

I use a mirror on a shelf that runs under my machine, just the way you're thinking of. I also have a magnifier handy if I need it. That set-up works very well for me.
    Old 12-27-2020, 10:50 AM
    Power Poster

Lorena from YouTube Lorena’s quilting, showed her mirror and lights under her long arm just a couple of days ago. It is under the title- Finishing quilts and a renovation before Christmas.
    Old 12-27-2020, 12:38 PM

I know quite a few longarmers who use the full-length mirrors. You shouldn't have any problems as long as the mirrors are out of the way and don't interfere with your belts.
    Old 12-27-2020, 01:22 PM
    Power Poster

I used mirror tiles laid end to end on my Longarm table. Works great. I would imagine the long mirrors would work also if they are the right length.
    Old 12-28-2020, 07:20 AM

What a great Idea! I have been going back and forth for years looking, bending and getting out of breath trying to see the underside on my grace frame. What a time saver mirrors would be. I love the long mirror idea. Even mirror squares would do the trick and not be in the way of the track. Not being able to see what is going on underneath is one reason I have let it set so long.
    Great Idea!!!
    Old 12-31-2020, 12:01 PM

I use a mirror on my longarm frame. Just shine a flashlight on it and it's easy to see your stitches underneath. I got an inexpensive one with a plastic frame around it which makes it easy to pick up and move if I want to do a pantograph.