Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • My experience with Glue Basting. >
  • My experience with Glue Basting.

• My experience with Glue Basting.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by MsElaine
    Thanks for your post and photos. I've used glue basting only for binding (a la Sharon Schamber), but think that this is a great idea.
    I enjoy watching Sharon Schamber videos. Have not thought any farther on this quilt than where I am , but now when I get to the binding I will be using the glue.
    Old 07-24-2012, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by AnnaF
    Sharon Schamber uses an applicator that has a very tiny tip so a very little do of glue is used and she swears by that method.
    Even with using the normal tip on my Elmers Washable School Glue, I am able to get just a dab. One of the nice things about quilters, we all have our preferred methods and love to share them, so what works for one might or might not work for another. But we all love sharing!!!! I know that I swear by this method also!
    Old 07-24-2012, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by margecam52
    Cheater! I'm gonna tell the quilt police...oh, wait...there are no quilt police around here...ah, so you are safe! LOL... great idea. I used to glue baste my mitered corners & bindings...haven't in awhile. But this will make for a great nine patch for an Irish chain. will actually save time.

One hint...I saw this on youtube...switch the direction you put the pins in...having the point of the pin right at the edge of the fabric's cut edge (instead of having the head of the pin there.

Really like the colors you have here!
    Now that is another great tip! Swithching the direction of the pin heads; seriously, that thought never entered my mind and it would be a simple solution instead of them running into, getting stuck and hearing the frustration coming out of my mouth. LOL. But, glad that I chose the glue!

I just really fell in love with these fabrics. Thanks!
    Old 07-24-2012, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by jeanharville
    Charlene, I had often wondered if light weight inter facing would work with the thin fabric. I'm new to quilting so I didn't know how it would affect the quilting part. So far I've ony machine quilted, but would like to know if it would make hand quilting difficult.
    This is Brenda; The lightweight interfacing would work with the lightweight fabric. But, like you I do not know about hand quilting. Being new to quilting have a blast discovering what works and does not work for you. It can be fun and frustrating, but the finished project is so fabulous and such a joy to know you created it!
    Old 07-24-2012, 02:20 PM

When using elmers school glue, does it work to glue it on the table then carry it to the ironing board for pressing
    or would the glued spots come apart when moving it? Or, do you do one dot of glue
    at a time & without moving it, press it right there?
    (I'm talking about a strip of squares--when sewing 2 glued strips together)

Last edited by needles3thread; 07-24-2012 at 02:36 PM.
    Old 07-24-2012, 02:28 PM
    Power Poster

A wonderful idea. I will make good use of this gluey tip. Thanks much.

peace
    Old 07-24-2012, 02:33 PM

I totally believe in basting my binding with glue. It takes a few minutes to baste it, but I can hand sew the back of the binding in front of the tv and never get poked or lose a pin in my recliner. Try it, you will love it.
    Old 07-24-2012, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by needles3thread
    When using elmers school glue, does it work to glue it on the table then carry it to the ironing board for pressing
    or would the glued spots come apart when moving it? Or, do you do one dot of glue
    at a time & without moving it, press it right there?
    (I'm talking about a strip of squares--when sewing 2 glued strips together)
    I have my ironing board sitting right next to my sewing machine; so, I really am not positive. But, just with my experience on this project, moving it before it is dry; it easily shifts. I would have to recommend glueing close to the ironging board when working on strips or leaving it lay flat and undisturbed on your table until the glue naturally dries (naturally drying was mentioned by another quilter). Experiment and tell us what you find out!

I did one glue spot at a time at first, then got brave and discovered that being careful, I could lay the iron down on top of as many sections as it would cover. Sometimes, the glue would kind of stick to the iron (but just occasionally), then I would take hold of the hanging fabric and just give it a tad pull and it came right off.

Another tip, I have forgot to mention is using a pressing sheet. At first, not thinking and planning correctly, I did it directly onto the ironing board cover. Now I have all kinds of little glue spots all over. No big deal, they will wash out with no trouble. But it creates less work than rewashing the ironing board over and over instead of the pressing sheet. If you do not have a pressing sheet, use an old towel or something. Again though, everyone has there own preferences and experimenting and finding out what works for you is the best!
    Old 07-24-2012, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting
    A wonderful idea. I will make good use of this gluey tip. Thanks much.

peace
    Have a great time creating with Elmers Washable School Glue!
    Old 07-24-2012, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by mshollysd
    I totally believe in basting my binding with glue. It takes a few minutes to baste it, but I can hand sew the back of the binding in front of the tv and never get poked or lose a pin in my recliner. Try it, you will love it.
    I have never sewn my binding down by hand. Recently, I began a hand applique project and am finding, like so many in other posts have stated it is totally relaxing. I was thinking about giving the hand sewn binding a try and see what I think. Great tip about not loosing pins in the chair...they do have a bite! Ask me how I know. LOL.