Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need your opinions-pricing Walker Bags >
  • Need your opinions-pricing Walker Bags

• Need your opinions-pricing Walker Bags

Old 07-29-2010, 09:24 AM

Thank you everyone for your input. :wink:

I am a bit disheartened that someone would only be willing to pay $10 for one of my bags.
    Using $4./yd fabric, batting, and snaps my cost would still be $8. Add 9.75% sales tax on a $10 bag my final cost would be $8.98. Guess my labor is only worth $1.02. :-(
    Old 07-29-2010, 10:36 AM

Janet, don't take what people would pay personally. It's no reflection on your talent and work. There are a lot of people who won't pay more than $50 for a king sized "handmade" quilt from China. With sweatshop labor so prevalent in our market and economy, many folks are used to paying 10 cents an hour for labor! It truly makes selling our home made goods, very hard. And usually only to people who understand we aren't slave laborers here in the U.S.
    Old 07-29-2010, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
    Janet, don't take what people would pay personally. It's no reflection on your talent and work. There are a lot of people who won't pay more than $50 for a king sized "handmade" quilt from China. With sweatshop labor so prevalent in our market and economy, many folks are used to paying 10 cents an hour for labor! It truly makes selling our home made goods, very hard. And usually only to people who understand we aren't slave laborers here in the U.S.
    I understand that. We have had many threads about how non-quilters don't understand the value of what we do.
    BUT this comment was from a fellow quilter. :-( :-( :-(
    Old 07-29-2010, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by JanetM

I understand that. We have had many threads about how non-quilters don't understand the value of what we do.

Non-quilters don't understand the value of what we do because we're willing to price ourselves so cheap. We TRAINED them by not charging what we should for our time.

I agree with those who suggested $20 to $25 is what they'd bring. So . . .when you're priced at what the market can bare . . .you have no choice but to bring the price of cost of goods sold to a more manageable level. Look for bolt ends. . .sales . . .coupons, etc :)

Something else you might need to consider . . .if this center is an assisted living center for those with Alzheimer's is that patients living there may not have control of their finances. Most in that condition have assigned family members in that role :)
    Old 07-29-2010, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by ClairVoyantQuilter
    Originally Posted by JanetM

Non-quilters don't understand the value of what we do because we're willing to price ourselves so cheap. We TRAINED them by not charging what we should for our time.

I agree with those who suggested $20 to $25 is what they'd bring. So . . .when you're priced at what the market can bare . . .you have no choice but to bring the price of cost of goods sold to a more manageable level. Look for bolt ends. . .sales . . .coupons, etc :)

Something else you might need to consider . . .if this center is an assisted living center for those with Alzheimer's is that patients living there may not have control of their finances. Most in that condition have assigned family members in that role :)
    This community is for active seniors (independent), assisted care (several levels of assistance), and they have a section for Alzheimer's patients.
    Old 07-30-2010, 04:22 AM

I think $25.00 - $30.00 would be a good price for this. Those using a walker, would appreciate it alot more than we do, and for the price, I would pay up to $30.00 for someone I knew, that needed one.
    Old 07-30-2010, 04:25 AM

My guild made these (similar) for the boutique using orphaned quilt blocks, self stick velcro ties to attach to the walker or wheel chair. With the donated fabric, they sold for $10.
    Old 07-30-2010, 04:34 AM

Nice looking bag but I have to agree--if I'm buying for a gift up to $20 but if I am older I could not afford that much. Less expensive fabric would work fine--it will still last a long time with use.
    Old 07-30-2010, 04:47 AM

I would definitely purchase one of these for a friend who is using a walker. As others have stated, maybe purchase cheaper priced fabric that would still create a good look. I would pay $20 for one because I am always at a loss as to what to give to brighten the life of a person who has recently become handicapped.
    Old 07-30-2010, 06:32 AM

Having my mother in a nursing home the past 3 years, another consideration is washing. Anything nice gets thrown in the washer with everything else with plenty of bleach. Even when you try to do the laundry for them, the staff will "help" when something gets dirty. So I refuse to get anything very expensive because I know how it will be treated.

Also, even though these people may be paying $5,000+ a month as private-pay residents, that doesn't mean there's lots of money for everything else. It's a matter of them having to spend all their own money for their care. Unless someone is giving them gifts, you tend to pinch the rest of the pennies for future care.