Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Newbie Quilter >
  • Newbie Quilter

• Newbie Quilter

Old 10-27-2015, 06:11 PM

I bought a Janome Skyline S5 two months ago on sale for $995.00 Unfortunately, I injured my wrist the very same day, so haven't used it as much as I would have liked. I've only actually used it for the last 2 days, I LOVE IT!!!!!!! I haven't started a quilt yet, but have done some simple draw string purses and started a cape. Basically, I wanted the decorative stitches and more buttonhole options than my previous machine offered. There is a learning curve because I've never had a computer based machine before, so there are some differences. Take a few "practice" pieces with you when you go back and see if they will let you test "drive" it. My dealer offers free classes, one on one with an instructor, but haven't set that up yet as I'm hoping my wrist will improve more before I lug the machine back to the store.
    Old 10-28-2015, 07:00 AM
    Power Poster

You really have to sit down and test drive both machines. I am a quilter that doesn't need the new gadgets since I am still happily quilting on my Bernina 1530. Buying a new machine is just like buying a new car, you got to get out and test drive them both. Good luck and have fun shopping.
    Old 10-28-2015, 08:01 AM

Welcome to the QB and quilting. I bought a used Janome 6600 for $1000 about 4 years ago and have not had one bit of trouble. It is quiet and so many stitches available. I am sure if you get started quilting you will find it so addicting and relaxing. Good luck in your search and purchase. Let us know what you decide.
    Old 10-28-2015, 08:56 AM

*** HI! Y'all from the upstate of South Carolina.
    Old 10-28-2015, 10:35 AM

I have 2 Janomes and love them both, no problems what so ever that I have had
    Old 10-28-2015, 10:55 AM

I have a Janome Magnolia computerized one for piecing and regular sewingans Babylock Melody for quilting and decorative. I also keep my GD Janome Helly Kitty mechanical one at my house while she is learning. Love my Janome's very reliable. But do use good thread. They hate C&C. I have the large wxtension tray w/the Babylock leave the walking foor on ir most of the time. I used to have a couole of vintage cabinet machines but sadly had to sell them when I moved. Mostly having the needle up/down is is the best must have. Funny though the Magnolia is the speediest machine.
    Old 10-28-2015, 11:00 AM

have a Janome dc2011 and have been very happy doing all sorts of things.....
    Old 10-29-2015, 11:13 AM

lOOK INTO THE JUKI 2010. IT IS ONLY STRAIGHT STITCH BUT THE SPACE UNDER THE NEEDLE FOR QUILTING IS GREAT. CAN GET IT IN USA FOR $1000. I HAVE HAD 2 JANOME AND LOVED THAN. THE ELNA IS THE SAME AS A JANOME. I BROUGHT ONE BECAUSE ALL THE FEET I HAD FOR THE JANOME FITED THE ELNA. I BELIEVE THE ELNA BAND SELLS FOR LESS MONEY THEN THE JANOME