Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Painters tape and quilting techniques ??????? >
  • Painters tape and quilting techniques ???????

• Painters tape and quilting techniques ???????

Old 09-05-2012, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
    Is painter's tape better than masking tape? Just curious
    I just found out the hard way how much better the blue tape is than masking tape. I have a project which I marked the directional areas with masking tape. Weeellllll, it has been sitting for, ummmmm, let's say over a year and I just decided to finish it. The areas with the masking tape - when I could finally remove it - are gummy and now I have to figure out how to get the gummy stuff off my fabric. Really bad move on my part. Won't do that again!
    Old 09-05-2012, 06:33 AM

I use painter's tape for most of the above. I also use it to mark the 1/4" line all the way to the front of my machine. When sewing squares for HSTs I just line up the points on the painter's tape. Unless I'm making really big HSTs I don't have to mark the diagonal. Eliminates one step.
    Old 09-05-2012, 06:48 AM

I cut it in small triangular shapes and use it to mark the cutting slots on my June Tailor Shape Cut ruler. The triangle makes a little pointer so I don't get confused which slot to use. This also works on other rulers to help locate the line. I use it sticky side up (similar to suggested above) as a thread catcher. I just fold under the edges and stick it to the table rather than rolling into a ball. BTW - I use the wide tape for this. That's what I usually buy. It can be cut down to various widths as needed by sticking it on my mat (following lines to keep it straight) and using an old rotary cutter blade.

Lots of good suggestions here. BTW
    Old 09-05-2012, 07:00 AM

Love all these ideas! But the one that caught my eye right away was putting a plastic bread closer tab on the end of a roll of tape so you can find it easily the next time. That was one of those "Why didn't I think of that before?" moments.
    Old 09-05-2012, 07:04 AM

Yes the painters tape is better then the masking tape.
    Old 09-05-2012, 07:18 AM

I use it for most of the above. I also use it use it to mark lines on by ironing board when I am trying to square up my blocks (alla Sharon Schambler).
    Old 09-05-2012, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw
    Love all these ideas! But the one that caught my eye right away was putting a plastic bread closer tab on the end of a roll of tape so you can find it easily the next time. That was one of those "Why didn't I think of that before?" moments.

I always fold under a half inch or so so I can find the ends-----------on any tape
    Old 09-05-2012, 08:26 AM

Reminds me to get another roll, have used mine all up, must go put it on the list nowbefore I forget!
    Old 09-05-2012, 08:36 AM

I use it for a lot of the above as well as holding my "Angler 2" in the right position on my machine. I can stick it over and over again.
    Marking the 1/4" stitch on my old machine.
    I use it also to hold loose threads but also will use it to pick up small threads off of my fabric after using the seam ripper
    My regular machine is in the hospital so I am using it to hold the acrylic "sew steady" table in my recessed desk for the older machine (I don't have one to fit in the desk for that machine) so that it doesn't slide around

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
    Old 09-05-2012, 08:40 AM

I tape my backing flat to the floor when preparing a sandwich, it hold the backing taunt, so I never have puckers

Also write #s on it and stick to blocks for marking rows or block placements, works for me instead of pinning pieces of paper.

AND never used this tip, but recently seen where someone marked the vertical sides of their blocks on their cutting board for squaring up or checking size. For a 10" block they placed 2- 10" piece of tape 10" apart so they could easily check the block for size