Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Paper piecing:shock: >
  • Paper piecing:shock:

• Paper piecing:shock:

Old 04-04-2010, 05:47 PM

Fireworkslover .... awesome quilts ... it looks so hard but I can't wait for my class to learn paper piecing :)
    Old 04-04-2010, 06:58 PM

I've been pping since 2001. Taught myself using Carol Doak's books and watching Alex Anderson. I love it.The precision cannot be equaled. I use Carol Doak's pping paper.I also keep scotch tape or masking tape for ripping, a large needle and small stiches. I agree, removing paper is not as enjoyable as sewing onto it.
    Old 04-04-2010, 07:06 PM

I have not noticed mention of using a pp ruler. They cut 1/4 and 1/8 inch seam. I use 1/8.
    Old 04-05-2010, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by deeceem
    I have not noticed mention of using a pp ruler. They cut 1/4 and 1/8 inch seam. I use 1/8.
    I just use rulers I had, but did buy one that's 1" wide and 12" long. I found another one that has a 1/8" line for using on smaller blocks.
    Old 04-05-2010, 05:00 AM

Again, many thanks!
    Old 04-05-2010, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by fireworkslover
    Originally Posted by deeceem
    I just use rulers I had, but did buy one that's 1" wide and 12" long. I found another one that has a 1/8" line for using on smaller blocks.
    The pp rulers are invaluable. Using a piece of cardstock such as a postcard or index card placed along the seam line so that the ridge on the pp ruler can grip it ensures that the seam will be 1/4" or 1/8" wide and keeps everything neat and tidy on the back. These rulers come in 6'' and 12''. I use the 6 inch more.
    Old 04-05-2010, 06:32 AM

I used beeswax when I embroidered some blocks for a guild Christmas Quilt, and it didn't on that. I have heard it stains fabrics, but never have seen it on work others have done who said it, and not on mind. I think it is a good product.
    Have the scotch tape handy for paper-piecing. A friend helped me paper-piece the "Amish Tulips" into a wallhanging, and that was her first piece of advice!
    I agree; it is easy to loose your place if you don't stay with it!
    Marta
    Old 04-08-2010, 04:32 PM

And they are beautiful. I haven't tried pp yet but plan to try the Feb. BOM one of these days.
    Old 12-29-2010, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by athenagwis
    Originally Posted by fun2quilt
    This is how I paper piece ....

http://www.twiddletails.com/store/in...age=page&id=21

It makes much more sense to me and I adore it, I will NEVER go back to the regular way of paper piecing again!

Cheers!
    Rachel
    I do it the same way and LOVE IT!!!!

Andii,
    Give it a try.....
    Yay! Glad I am not the only one!! It may take slightly longer (though I am not convinced of it), but it's so precise, and hassle free because you don't have to sew from point a to point b, you just sew straight across like a regular seam. I never was good at starting and stopping in the right place, so this method just makes more sense to me!!

Oh and I do not pre-score my lines, though it may make it easier to do, I usually just fold when I am ready to do the next section. Actually now that I think about it, scoring may be easier! hmmmm may have to try that next time LOL

Cheers!
    Rachel
    I have just started reading this site and i want to know, when you iron your freezer paper into the section 1, and it goes a little into section 2, DOES IT MATTER? A friend is bring me back my VERY OWN BOX OF FREEZER PAPER FROM AUSSIE, i am so excited as you pay a FORTUNE for a metre....Cannot wait to get started, but reading up about it before it arrives. Appreciate any help here. I have seen the website tutorial so that is why i am a bit confused with the smaller points!
    Old 01-12-2011, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Cuddly Quilter
    Originally Posted by fun2quilt
    This is how I paper piece ....

http://www.twiddletails.com/store/in...age=page&id=21

It makes much more sense to me and I adore it, I will NEVER go back to the regular way of paper piecing again!

Cheers!
    Rachel
    I do it the same way and LOVE IT!!!!

Andii,
    Give it a try.....
    Yay! Glad I am not the only one!! It may take slightly longer (though I am not convinced of it), but it's so precise, and hassle free because you don't have to sew from point a to point b, you just sew straight across like a regular seam. I never was good at starting and stopping in the right place, so this method just makes more sense to me!!

Oh and I do not pre-score my lines, though it may make it easier to do, I usually just fold when I am ready to do the next section. Actually now that I think about it, scoring may be easier! hmmmm may have to try that next time LOL

Cheers!
    Rachel
    I have just started reading this site and i want to know, when you iron your freezer paper into the section 1, and it goes a little into section 2, DOES IT MATTER? A friend is bring me back my VERY OWN BOX OF FREEZER PAPER FROM AUSSIE, i am so excited as you pay a FORTUNE for a metre....Cannot wait to get started, but reading up about it before it arrives. Appreciate any help here. I have seen the website tutorial so that is why i am a bit confused with the smaller points!
    No because you will be folding the freezer paper back anyway so you can peel the little section of 2 that got stuck back when you fold. No biggie at all, I do it all the time because it's hard to be precise. You don't want to get int he habit of doing too much overage as the paper can wear out and not stick as well, but a little here and there is not a big deal at all. Have you tried this yet??

Rachel