Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pre-cut Question >
  • Pre-cut Question

• Pre-cut Question

Old 10-22-2013, 11:45 PM
    Power Poster

Default Pre-cut Question

I have never really bought many pre-cuts am just familiar with fq and jelly rolls. My DIL gave me a pack of 40, 8 inch squares and I was just wondering if there is a particular pattern than is compatible with this.....all the fabric is brightly patterned and consists of florals, dots, checks, and houndstooth....they kind of work together but I'm having a bit of difficulty deciding which pattern to use. I am aware I will need to add some solids or blenders to have enough to do something of a reasonable size.

Sorry no pics, but I've just washed them and pegged them out
    Old 10-23-2013, 02:57 AM

I'm not sure what that would be called, a layer cake is made of 10"squares but maybe some of these might give you some ideas http://www.modabakeshop.com/search/label/Layer%20Cake
    Maybe try googling Layer cake quilt patterns?
    Old 10-23-2013, 02:58 AM

I drew a line diagonally up the middle and stitched 1/4" each side of it, then cut them apart. I now had squares that were two different prints each. Then I sewed them together to make a quilt. I've attached a photo of it - it's a baby quilt but could be done in any size.

Also pre-cut squares would make nice pinwheels. Lay 2 squares together rights sides facing one another. Stitch 1/4" all around the four sides. Then cut an X in the squares from one corner to the other diagonally both ways. You will have 4 triangles. When you open them play with them until you get a pinwheel! Easy block and make a nice quilt. I've also attache a photo of a baby quilt I made with pinwheels.

Hope this helps!
    Attached Thumbnails autumn-2012-001.jpg   baby-johns-quilt-004.jpg   baby-quilt-001.jpg  
    Old 10-23-2013, 02:59 AM
    Power Poster

maybe you could cut them down to 5 1/2" & 2 1/2" squares to make something? i can not think of any blocks that use 8" cuts...visit 'Quilter's Cache' and browse the blocks in the 7 1/2" size to find some inspiration= their may be something that catches your eye. around here most 'pre-cuts' are {charms= 5", layer cakes= 10"} so 8" is a little 'different' ...they can always be cut in half both ways to give you (4) 4" squares.....there are lots of patterns that use 4" squares.
    Old 10-23-2013, 12:00 PM

You could sew them all together, so many across and down, then put a border or two.
    Old 10-28-2013, 02:28 AM
    Power Poster

Thanks everyone....I think I've found a pattern that will work with this little lot - love your quilts alleyoop1...just beautiful. Don't know when I'll get to start, my husband was recently laid off, so is retiring early....this quilter is currently looking for some part-time work....no extra income...no stash