Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Professional Maintenance of my sewing machine >
  • Professional Maintenance of my sewing machine

• Professional Maintenance of my sewing machine

Old 10-30-2013, 03:28 AM

Default Professional Maintenance of my sewing machine

I have a Juki Tl98Q that I purchased new in 2008. I am very good about cleaning out all the lint from the bobbin area, cleaning the feed dogs, and regular, frequent oiling. How often do you all think I should send this out and have it professional cleaned and adjusted? I am having no problems with it. It gets used nearly every day for at least 3 hours, sometimes 8 hours. Thanks for your ideas about this!
    Old 10-30-2013, 04:11 AM

That is a good question. I am waiting to hear from the sewing experts on the board. I try to keep my machine clean and oiled. I just took mine in for cleaning after about 4 years. I don't use mine as often as you though.
    Old 10-30-2013, 04:20 AM

I agree--good question. My machine is new, but I'd like to start out right!
    Old 10-30-2013, 04:28 AM

When I bought my Bernina, I was told once a year, especially if it is used a lot. Lint can build up in areas that you can't get to. Also read your Warranty, mine said, service once a year. If something happens and you have not been having it serviced, it could void your warranty.
    Old 10-30-2013, 04:36 AM

I have my Bernina serviced annually as recommended. I call it her 'spa treatment'!
    Old 10-30-2013, 04:37 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer
    When I bought my Bernina, I was told once a year, especially if it is used a lot. Lint can build up in areas that you can't get to. Also read your Warranty, mine said, service once a year. If something happens and you have not been having it serviced, it could void your warranty.
    I agree with Jackie. You should bring it in for servicing 1 a year. I do clean and oil mine Bernina regularly but in a location I could not get to, the lint had piled up so much the machine stopped working. YIKES. My problem now is getting it in for service since I had to give up driving. Would be difficult to bring a walker and the sewing machine onto a public bus!!
    Old 10-30-2013, 04:43 AM

Both the dealers I have bought machines from say about once a year, but it does depend a lot on how much use it gets. My newest machine I've had for about 10 months and I'm thinking of taking it in very soon because I've been using it heavily all spring and summer.

The last time I took a machine in I had just kept running it and running it because I didn't want to be without it and frankly didn't want to cough up the bucks to pay for it if it wasn't really necessary. It finally started acting just a bit sluggish so I took it for a cleaning and tune-up. When the guy asked if it had been a while, I realized it had been over 5 years! I clean the lint out of my machines religiously. It just gets in places I can't reach. It was amazing how much better it sounded after that. I promised my new machine when I brought her home that I would never make her wait that long between servicing!
    Old 10-30-2013, 05:24 AM

When I purchased my machine, I was told once a year. I keep my machine and oiled also but was told by my service person that I should have it tuned up every 1 1/2 years. He will check everything and be sure to calibrate the settings.
    Old 10-30-2013, 05:39 AM

I bought my Juki TL2010Q about two years ago. I kept it oiled and cleaned out the lint. I had it serviced last month and I do believe it "purrs" better. I've decided it is worth it to have it serviced once a year.
    Old 10-30-2013, 07:49 AM

Fr as much as you use it it should be yearly. If you use it ocasionally ever few years but you use it everyday for hours so thats a lot of buildup in places you can't reach